1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rotosound Flats (monel)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Has anyone used these particular strings, Rotosound RS77LD(monel)? I like EB's flats, 2804 but can't find them in the local store here. The review said Bass Player gave them a good review.
    [​IMG]
    It says they are Monel. What is Monel? Thanks.

2. xBECKx

xBECKx

Oct 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    i've used the ones that don't say monel on them and they are the best i've tried for flats.
    very woody and natural sounding.

3. I don't know if the monel is something new or what. It just says monel in the description. I'm wanting to try them out on my Geddy Jazz. I have GHS Precision Flats on it now but I don't like them. I have a Standard Jazz(MIM)with EB Flats and I like them. They have more punch than the GHS. I'm hoping the Rotosounds may be closer to the EB's. I do want to stick with flats.

4. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    You might want to step down the next lightest gauge--from what I've read here, the
    .105s are really high tension.

Can anyone comment on the .100 set re tension compared to rounds?

Thanks!

5. The EB Flats I use are .105 and they are fine, good sound. The GHS just seem to be dead compared to the EB's, even the Fender flats.

6. DavidMP

DavidMP

May 8, 2006
    Alberta, Canada
    Monel is the name of a family of commercial alloys. Has a high Nickel content and resists corrosion well

7. Thanks, that's what I'm looking for.

8. They are clanky to begin with, but give them time.

9. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    I love them. I play .110's and yes, the tension is high but I like that a lot. I'm trying the LaBella Deep Talkin' flats next but I'll likely return to these.

10. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    I use them on a P bass and I like them. The tension is slightly higher than what I would call moderate. They are not as slick as D'Addario Chromes. One of the other posters described them as 'woody' sounding. I would say the same.

11. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    Those are the exact strings that I string my Fender P/J and Ibanez Roadstar II with. They are curiously bright at first, but when they break in, they sound great, and have more edge than most flats. High-tension? Yes, but in a good way, giving the bass a nice, positive feel, rather than the strings feeing like wet spaghetti.

12. rooted

rooted

Feb 3, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I use the 77LE which are heavy gauge. Mine are about 4 years old on my G&L sb2 and I think they are great sounding. Very high tension, very woody. I tune them one step down and they still are high tension.

13. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    They were less than stellar on my SX essex P-- the somewhat high tension seemed to be a factor, and the stock pups didn't do much for them.

I moved them over to my Blazer and bam! The tone knob on the Blazer seems to leave a certain presence boost in there that just works with flats. The finer workmanship, nicer neck, better setup, and nicer pickups all work together to make the 77s very playable and very listenable.

14. jvb

jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    I use them on my US P Deluxe and MM Sub 4 passive. Terrific tone, but yes, high tension. I would describe the tone as very powerful with great bottom end and upper mid. Better tone than Thomastik flats for mine, haven't tried other flats.

15. BassmanAd

BassmanAd

Mar 19, 2008
    UK
    I use them, 50-110's. Sound great to me - huge, full and thumpy.

Very heavy tension, you'll definitely want to adjust your truss rod to compensate if you're switching from rounds. I'd say the tension on flatwound guages is comparable to the next step up on rounds. e.g. 45-105 flats will feel like 50-110 rounds.

Rotosound do a halfround set as well which is a good compromise but they don't come in 50's.

Ad

16. Sweaty B

Sweaty B

Feb 19, 2007
    New Orleans,LA
    I use them on my fretless, and they sound pretty good. They do have a high tension to them, but I've found that over all flatwounds strings (and the Rotosound aren't as bad as the others, like the Ernie Balls). I like 'em. Haven't changed them in a while, though.

17. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I use the .100 set on my MIM fretless Jazz and they sound and feel great. I don't think the tension is too high and they compare well to the .100 set of rounds I use on my fretted bass

18. hjschwartz

hjschwartz

Jun 7, 2013
    I think monel is a nickel- copper alloy with a little iron and small amounts of some other materials. I've had them on my P-bass for a long time and I really enjoy the sound. Its bright enough that you can slap and pop on it and get a Larry Graham kind of old school funk sound, and depending on your tone knob you can get anything from a string bass sound to the signature Iron Maiden metal bass tone.

I use the standard gauge, though I heard a sound clip on here of someone slapping on the light gauge and I'd say if you're going to play a lot of funk that might be the right call. If you're a pure metal guy go for the heavies.

19. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    Monel is ~ 67% pure nickel with the remainder made up of other alloys.

20. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    I have them currently on my violin bass. I like them now, after they've had a year of breaking in. Before that, I found them to be muddy with little definition. They're not my favourite flat, though.