1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rotosound flatwound 77 strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by raul, Jun 29, 2014.

1. raul

raul

Aug 30, 2006
    Planet Earth
    I've read about them but never tried them. I'm curious about how long they last. It seems like people say they die kinda fast. And go dead and clanky. Is this true? Do they need to be changed soon for a flat? Do they last for years with no problems? What is the lifespan?
    I was thinking about these strings. Or maybe Labella. I love gauge 45 - 105. Rotosound flats seem to have been used by some pretty rocking bands. I play rock.

2. I bought a set of those for my LTD. They sound good but they have a really high tension. They mess up my neck set up. They're good for pick pay. They last four years. I change them for la bellas, softer tension an better sound.

3. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Speaking from experience- had the RS77s, and hated them. They lacked any bite, felt sticky and badly tensioned, and didn't have the low end presence I expected. That was straight out of the package, and it was all downhill from there. My suggested alternative in the same price range would be D'Addario Chromes, which have a great rock bite plus that gooey thumpiness that flatwounds are known for.

4. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    I got an "issued" A string with a set, it couldn't intonate at the bridge. wherever I moved the saddle, it was always sharp at about +15 or +20 cents from the 11th fret.
    I've used them a bit, but they died very soon, becoming "only mids", like playing the bass in a box.

plus, they are nothing near "smooth" on the surface, they are rougher than any roundwound I've tried.

yes, but they change them for every gig, like Steve Harris.

5. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    Funny you should start this thread. I just put a set on my jazz bass today and I FU**ING HATE THEM! WHY DO I CONTINUE TO SHOP AT GUITAR CENTER AND BUY THEIR CRAP?

In other news, wanna buy this set for dirt cheap? I'll pull them off right now and send them to you.

6. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    Little bit Higher tension but have a good amount of bass and brightness It all depends on your EQ. I use them and have had them on my precision for four months. If anything they get dirty and old and give a great woody thump. I clean them off and they sound bright and new again. Love them. Try them out. They can last for as Long as you want them too. The sound is what matters.