Rotosound: Funkmaster vs Swing Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kam97, Jun 29, 2016.

1. kam97

kam97

Jun 17, 2015
    Hello!
    I've been playing with the same strings in my S.U.B. Stingray for about 4 months now and they are diiiiiiiiiiiirty.

I'm a huge metal fan, from Black Sabbath to Gojira; Iron Maiden, Lamb of God, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Maximum the Hormone, you name it. But recently I've been digging a lot into funk-jazz and groovier stuff in general (James Jamerson, Stevie Wonder, Jamiroquai and mostly ToP's Rocco Prestia, killer lines!).

The thing is I heard about this ultra light-gauge strings, the RS Funkmasters, and they seem pretty nice but a lot of people say they lose too much low-end; like, ultra great for crazy slap but nay for fingerstyle.

I want to hear your opinions to have a clearer picture and decide between those or the Swing Bass 66 (wich also sound killer!)

Thanks! :)

2. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    As a player who digs 35-90, I would say go for it. My ears notice no low end loss.

jallenbass likes this.
  3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    You just won't be able to dig in like you do with regular gauge.

4. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    That might depend on the player. I used to use 45-105, but with switching down I feel I can still dig in and I have yet to break a string. I do think it may take some time to get used to.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The Funkmasters I tried were nice but the gauge was a bit too thin for my taste. Great for slapping and string bending. I also didn't feel they had as much low end. Kinda sounded like the Mark King sound to me. Of course you can dial in more bass at the amp. You will also have to adjust your action as they have way less tension on the neck.

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. Hi There,
    If you didn't want to go that light you could try the Swing Bass set RS66LC which goes 95-40. I love Rotosound strings!
    Brent