Rotosound inconsistency

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lavaxtris, Apr 18, 2020.

1. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Feb 3, 2009
    Stow
    Have you guys also noticed extreme inconsistency with Rotosound steel strings? I exclusively buy RS66LD (45-105) string packs and sometimes they are stiff, sometimes they are loose, sometimes they are dull and other times they are super bright all when I first put them on. Sometimes they last forever, and sometimes they get dull quicker than ernie ball strings.
    I currently have some on my jazz bass and they feel sharp and thin, but then I have another set on my Sterling HH and they feel like smooth nickel wound strings.

I hate this and I wish these strings went through better quality control.

Goatrope likes this.
  2. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Are you putting them on correctly?

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Over the past 5 years of using these strings, no, I have not noticed this. That doesn't mean that you haven't noticed it! :)

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. 1960jbass

1960jbass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    I stopped using Rotosounds 30 years ago for those exact reasons. Every couple of years I buy a set hoping they retuned to the quality they had back in the 70's and early 80's and wind up disappointed.

bass4u, Jazz Ad, Goatrope and 2 others like this.
  5. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    I've heard about these inconsistencies but only ever had one bad string, I'm based in the UK where Rotos are made so maybe there is something in the way they are shipped , just guessing

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I have been using Rotosound strings since the 70's. While I have heard of these issues, I have not experienced any of them myself.

strings.jpg

7. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    How you got this box, it's fantastic! :woot:

jwoiton, BrentSimons and mapleglo like this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i agree! i've seen that box of strings before --- it's great!

per the OP: i've had the occasional goofy/bad string in the sets of 66s i use (35 - 90) over the years, and i've heard about the "bad years" of roto rounds, but i haven't shared the victimhood some claim. however, i'm also luckier than most, so there's that. :laugh:

if you really like those strings: consider ordering from another vendor --- at least you're more likely to get sets from a different batch. good luck with your rotos! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    BrentSimons and Vinny_G like this.
  9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I had these same issues with Rotosound when I was gigging in Branson between 15 and 20 years ago. I got ahold of the Rotosound rep, and told him about it. At the time, he told me they were changing the wrap formula for low E strings, and shipped me some. They weren't perfect, but they were more consistent in both tone and string-to-string with themselves and the rest of the set, better than the first few I purchased commercially, and got me through the duration of the show. That may not sound (pun intended) like much, but for a commercial show that was televised, it had to be consistently the same string change to string change to keep the sound engineer from throwing fits. Sad to hear it may be happening again.

BrentSimons, trothwell and tindrum like this.
  10. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

Jan 14, 2012
    I love Roto's ! Have been using them for many years. Love them the older they get, But have noticed on occasion some strings being higher tension/flat sounding/no sustain over the past few years. Lets hope this gets remedied. Waiting for a set now so I can do a setup on my new to me Pbass.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    BrentSimons likes this.
  11. I bought them a couple of times when I started playing bass, around 3 years ago. They were ok, as far as I remember.
    I bought a brand new set a couple of weeks ago and got a dull E string, so the consistency problem is still there or I was unlucky, I don't know.
    What I know is that despite the dull E string I really like these strings.

12. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    That is my experience with Rotos to. I switched to Daddario Prosteels and have not gotten a bad Daddario string in 20 years. I love the sound of Rotos but i cant afford the bad ones. Daddario is close enough in sound and is always great out of the box

Dan_reeves and Vinny_G like this.
  13. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    I alternate strings between brand and material on my bass...so I can only remember the sound not cexactly comparate the sound to say oh these strings are inconsistency....In my opinion for some vintage sound Roto's all are unbeatable. For long lasting, tone and tension there are many strings better but in tone are unbeatable.

BrentSimons likes this.
  14. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    I stopped using them around 1990 or so, for that very reason. I pulled an E out before a gig and it was coiled like a snake and was dead beyond belief. Went to DR and never looked back.

Jazz Ad and PBandJazzBass like this.
  15. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    These threads are always informative. I never liked the E string on my Tele. Maybe Rotosound 66s have been the culprit?

16. I stopped using 77's a few years back for the same reason.

It seemed like every other set I got would have a random dead string, usually D or G.

17. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    I recently went back to Rotos after 35 years on a couple of basses and though apprehensive the 2 sets of RS 66LC I got have been perfect.

BrentSimons likes this.
  18. I don't know what I'll do in the future. What I know is that I really like them and they're cheap. Coming from nickel rounds I didn't expect to like stainless steel that much, but it was a real revelation to me.

BrentSimons likes this.
  19. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Exactly my experience. I want to love them for nostalgic reasons, but they keep on disappointing. Maybe it’s because I have several very different basses I try them on. I don’t know. I wish I could get a set that would measure up to how I remember them sounding/feeling on my old Rick. But even my 40+ yr old Rick doesn’t like them anymore.

It’s ponderous, man.

tindrum, Arthur U. Poon and 1960jbass like this.
  20. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

Jan 14, 2012
    I recently put on a set of Roto 66 Nickel. on my Pbass. They seem to be one of the better sets of Rotos I have bought in quite a while. Will try the steels next time around. ( about a year?) Long time Roto fan hoping they become more constant !

Hypercaffium likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2021