Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rotosound Jazz77

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Oct 3, 2002.

1. So who is useing these string, and what do you think about them?

I currently have the 45-105 regular gauge set on my p-bass and love them, except for a little to much tension. I'm getting used to them little by little. However, I would like the same tone with less tension. Also I find the tone to improve a little when they break in after a little use.

Do the lighter guage strings give up any tone?

Can anybody slap on these things?

2. also I thought I might note that if anybody wants to hear these strings, check out some Iron Maiden!:cool:

duh duh duh dum duh wiggly wiggly wiggly wank wank wank whack wank squirt!!!:eek:

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Eww you sick puppy, keep your hands where I can see them, you certainly won't want any of that stuff on your basses :p

I have set of 45-130 on my fiver, and I like em. I find slapping very hard but then again, as they are so stiff you can set your action ultra low which would definetly help.

4. I don't have the action too low, but I keep trying to slap on them, and everytime I play a bass with "normal strings" I find I'm pulling off all the stuff I'm trying to do with Jazz'zz, only with no problems at all!

Also I put a clean set on, and noticed the slap tone Improved about 88% or maybe more like 89%, anyway it was a big improvement spanking with clean jizz on my bass, rather than funky old jizz. :D

oops, I mean Jazz!:p

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Roto 77's have a very distinctive sound as far as flats go, very twangy. I used to slap on them and was able to get a decent old school (Larry Graham with Sly) type of tone.

The tension is a bit much though. I haven't found other flats that sound similar.

As an aside, once, I had a set of Labella flats on (which IMO are better for slapping) and broke the E. I had the old Roto 77 E lying arund so I put it on to get me through practice. It was MUCH quieter than the LaBellas and seemed to have a tone that was all mids by comparison. YMMV.

6. Interesting, yes very interesting.

I would like to try the Thomastik-Infelds out, but I don't want this to turn into a Thomastik thread. However, I hear they give real nice thump.

You gotta admit that the Jazz mids are very nice!

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got Roto77s on my US 4 string fretless Curbow, and TI Flats on my US 6 string fretless Curbow. THey couldn't sound more different.

The Rotos are about 2 years old now, and they sound big, full, and warm with a nice treble-y overtone to them that makes them sound like you smacked a steel girder with a wrench. I often use a mute under the strings to get a giant room filling sound that just thump-thump-thumps along.

The TI Flats (only about 3 months old, so they are still breaking themselves in) have a decidedly more organic tone to them. The silk around the core has a great deal to do with this, I bet.

I tried Jazz Flats on the 4 string, but the neck decided it didn't like the lower tension of the TIs. The higher tension of the rotos seems to make the bass more alive, for some reason.

I have all 7 of my basses set up with TI strings, except for the one with the Rotos. I'm a complete TI fanatic, so the fact that I like the way the 4 sounds with Rotos should say something. :D

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I put Roto77s on my P-bass and hated it! They lasted about 3 weeks and then a new set of 66s was put back on - much better!

However, I now have a Jazz fretless - still on the factory (Mexico) fitted strings, which might get the Roto77 treatment to see if the tone on a fretless bass is more to my liking!

9. Not a fan of 77s at all. Tried a set on the fretless and found them far too stiff and unforgiving for my liking. Changed to TI Flats. Absolutely superb IMHO.

[Following that, ripped the 66s from the Bass Collection fretted and fitted TI rounds. Again, absolutely superb.]

In retrospect, the two types of Rotos I've used really do feel like steel hawsers. Also had dumb string problems with the Rotos.

Am a very firm TI user now.

John

10. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'm looking for a round with the sound and tension of TI Flats, I like the feel (non-stickiness) of rounds. Do TI Powerbass fit the bill?

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Sounds more like you would be happy with TI Jazz Rounds.

12. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    bassmonkee, I'll look into some, I believe the local GC has some on sale for $9.95 in a four string set. I could put them on the Roscoe and keep the original b string on. I just need to make sure the A string will fit on the 35" neck with the A tuner clear at the top.

13. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    I put on a new set of 77 Jazz this monday(4 days ago) and I got a intonatin prob with the A string. It's sharp! Seems it's not vibrating freely all the way. It's sharp allthrough compared with the open string. Compensation doesn't help.(I would have to move the saddle back almost 10mm compared to the E string! That just ain't possible. Could this problem be gone after playing awhile?