Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rotosound let down

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lyle, Jan 13, 2005.

1. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i've always heard roto's were real bright and growly. which they were, for about a week. I through them on my kubicki and for a while they were killed but now they lost all there brightness pretty much :spit: . This happen to anyone else?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    yup! That is why I gave them up back in the 80s... actually had a FEW come out of the bag dead.

Try some of them Pro Steels from D'Addario. They have all the goodness of Rotos but last a long while

3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    ya, I was a D'addario fan for several years then I went to Elixir cause I could squeeze a couple more months out of a set, but I would like to try those prosteels as well. What kind oflife span did you get out of them?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got mostly dry and neutral hands, played them about 2 to 3 hours daily.... I'd say a solid 2.5 to 3 months.

5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    hmmm thats pretty good. most un coated strings last me about 1.5 months. I got the elixers to last about 4. I try adn wash my hands before i play too, which made me wonder why the rotos only sounded bright for so long.

6. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Weird....For me, Rotos keep their chime for at least a month, and I'm not easy on strings...I use FastFret and wipe 'em down after playing..

Slug

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've had much greater lifespan from my strings since I started using GHS' Fast Fret.

Good stuff, IMO

-Art

8. Rotos have done me proud as well, love the bright sound I get from them. They last me about 2-3 months too. But yeah, yet again, i use fast fret :)

9. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Me too, exactly. I hate Roto Sound Strings. They really are dinosaurs in the string world IMHO. :spit:

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I tried two sets of Roto's and two sets of Prosteels. I'd have to say the Roto's lasted longer than the Prosteels for me.

11. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I also whipe down my strings after playing but whats fast frets? Is it a basic string cleaner?

12. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My rotos have been clean for a VERY long time. The ones on my wick have been in use since I replaced the pickups, and the ones before that were in use for almost 6 months. They were very bright and growly. I also play as much as 14 hours in one day, and my hands aren't always the clenest of things. Yes.

13. 'Fast Fret' is a 'stick' of cloth impregnated with some kind of fluid (so it doesnt spill all over the place and stuff...which is nice). It's primarily meant to make it easier to move around the fretboard (hence 'Fast Fret') but GHS also claim it cleans the strings and therefore makes them last longer. Seems to work though.

14. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The biggest problem I had with Rotos is inconsistency from one set to the next, I do not use them anymore