1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rotosound monel flats the way to go?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by markanini, May 9, 2010.

1. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    I miss the new brightness my LaBella light flats once had, would the rotosounds retain that fresh air sound longer while having the same overall feel and tone?

I also have issues with string-to-string balance of the Labella light flats set, especially the E is too floppy and dull. Still the nicest flats set I've tried so far. Others I tried were the Medium set - too high tension, nice low E tho...Status flats 45-105 not very firm and lacked low end punch...status half rounds - sounded reminiscent of a mosquito flying by your ear, these came right off.

2. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Sadowsky flats maintain a nice tonal balance as they settle in. Possibly what you're looking for. Smoooth too! :cool:

3. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Cool. Have you compared them to the Labellas?

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I just took a set of 77's off one of my basses. I have never had a set of flats go dead so fast! The E & A just DIED! I replaced them with 88's on that bass because I wanted the THUMP. Chromes are on most all my other basses, last forever, not to bright but not dead

5. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    +1 on the chromes.

6. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Not for a while, but I didn't like the way the top end rolled off after a few months. I thought that LaBella made the Sad flats, but I could be wrong. Anyways the Sadowsky flats stay very musical sounding.

I have not tried Chromes.

7. Droot

Droot

Dec 29, 2006
    Try TIs, they are hard to beat. There sound is somewhat more bell like then Rotosounds, but in a very pleasing way.
    DRoot

8. rotosound flats are the worse garbage to ever be described as "strings". that said, if you've ever found yourself chewing on a piece of cardboard and thought "my, this is tasty!" then maybe they are the right choice of strings for you.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    they're not that bad. i don't like them either but they're a quality string. i just like flats to sound like flats. if i wanted brightness, i'd play rounds. oh yeah, i do play rounds ;)

10. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    You do realise you weren't supposed to be eating the flats?

11. agreed, i like my flats to thud not zing, but it wasn't just the sound they made.. i hate the feel to. they've got this wierd texture (not smooth like proper flats), and they were waay to stiff for my liking. i'm not a big fan of chromes but putting those back on the bass was like slipping into a nice set of slippers after being forced to walk in clogs.

but i was just trying to soften them up.. i promise :crying: