Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rotosound on MIM P Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by oldrocker, Jul 10, 2005.

1. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I just put a set of Rotosound Pressure Wound SM 55s, hybrid gauge 40 - 100, on my MIM P Bass Special.

I specifically chose the pressure wounds as they are advertised to have less fret noise than the standard Roto Swing Bass Strings (RS 66s)

While I love the tone of this strings but I'm having issues with the E and D strings.

The E string will not stay in tune and is rather floppy. It also exhibts a large amount of clanking when fretting notes.

The D string will not intonate. I had to adjust the saddle all the way out and still the octave is flat.

The bass is set up properly and the strings I took off this bass, while pretty dead, intonated properly and stayed in tune and had no noticeable clanking.

Is this normal for these strings?
    Will these strings settle with use, or am I just expecting too much of these strings?

I think I may have been better off with D'Addario XL170 nickel wounds. Can anyone suggest which strings I can use to get a nice deep tone with minimal fret noise. I do not use a pick.

Thanks

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    It is not totally unheard of to get a bad set of strings... Most reputable brands will replace faulty strings, and I think that this is true of Rotosound...

I would always opt for D'Addario's over RotoSound, but then, I am a D'Addario slut!!!

-robert