Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rotosound piano strings (for those who have asked)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Octave Doctor, Nov 23, 2003.

1. I Just put a set of of Rotosound piano strings on the Fender P. Fantastic sound and feel! However, if you want the full benefit make sure you string through the bridge rather than through the body.

2. Are these strings made like the D'addario XL-REDS?
    http://www.daddario.com/

I use the XL reds exclusively on my '61 4000 Rickenbacker and now I'm curious as to what these strings are made of? Can you help me?

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Not sure about the XL-REDS but this is what they say on the rotosound site:

Funny thing is you put the ball ends on yourself!

I was using slow-wounds before but I have to say I'm a convert!

4. I am going to have to order a set of RS 99LD and try them out on my Rickenbacker!:meh:

Thanks for the reply!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. I'm sure they will sound great on your ricky.

Here is a look at the ball ends for those who are interested

(I'm sure I deserve a free set for all this promotion!!)

bridge

bridge close-up

6. They are tape wound also. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Your E string looks out of the groove in the saddle.

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. Naa - just a trick of the light (or a rubbish photographer!)

8. These are pretty nice pictures, IMHO.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Treena - were you asking what the 99's are made of? If so, they're stainless. Also, the XL Reds aren't made any more, are they? D'Addario doesn't list them, and Just Strings doesn't seem to have any, either.

10. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    It appears as if the Reds are indeed discontinued. They're not in the 2003 D'Addario catalog.

Tom

11. I have (here at my studio) several cases of the XL Reds.The XL reds are actually copper coated.

Yes, I know they have discontinued them, that's one reason I was asking about the 99's.

Thanks for the reply gentlemen!

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    The 99's are contact core and stainless. The
    "adjustable" ball ends are a pain. I tried a
    box of these (8 sets) and found them to be
    no better than the 66's, and to my ears had
    substantially less bottom-end.

Slugworth
    Roto-fan

13. Fair enough. I must say I had mine put on for me - and perhaps the improvement was more a result of the set-up than the strings - but they seem to have better feel and sound than the 66's I used to run with. (and I’m a big fan of the 66’s)

Treena, let us know how you get on will you?

14. Basho

Basho Guest

Does anyone know where I can buy Rotosounds in Toronto? And how much they would cost, approximately?

15. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Im very interested in these string, but I need a few questions answered.

I noticed the ends make the strings kind of float so that the actual part of the string you play on doesnt touch the bridge. will this make the string more liable to break?

I also wanted to know where you purchased them, a store or a website? (please post the site if you can)

Thanks a bunch
    -Billy:help:

16. Can't help you I'm afraid - I'm sure your local guitar shop can get you a set. I didnt pay for mine but I think they are around 25 UK pounds.

I wouldn't have thought so - Ill let you know if embarrass myself half way through a stunning solo.

See above.