Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rotosound Pianos

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rickbass, Jun 25, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've always been adventurous when it comes to strings.

Has anyone strung up with the Rotosound Pianos???

These are the nuttiest strings I have ever seen!!!! It's like you have to build the ends on them!!!

I'd appreciate any tips on how to make them if you are experienced with them. The instruction sheet is as whack as the owner's manual I had for my old Triumph TR sports car!!!!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I used to use them and I still have those ballends, very easy to use and pretty reliable.

I used to use those ballends to fix broken g-strings - works really well with a 035, I can fix a string up to 3 times if I have enough material on the tuner.

But it's been too long to remember how they sounded, but I liked them and I only switched to Pyramids because they were cheaper and easier to get.

3. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Wow....Rotosound makes pianos?? I thought this was a bass forum. :D All joking aside, these strings have always intrigued me too but I've never tried a set. So rickbass, you've bought some but ya haven't strung 'em up yet?

4. rickbass

Well, I will. I had a freebie offer from Rotosound for a set that I've had lying around for a year and have to use before it expires.

JMX scares me because he is so knowledgeable especially when it come to technical things, whether it be amps/physics/electronics.

I'm just a "street smart" type of guy.

The instructions are written in "English - English." In other words, the instructions make very little sense to a Yank......just like when I had a truly-British Triumph before Leyland bought the company and the owner's manual said you can soak the air filters in "paraffin" to clean them (that's English - English for "turpentine" but many owners used "American" paraffin and ended up with candles), how to open the "bonnet" and how to replace the "Woodruff key" in the water pump.

I just don't want to get the bends they tell you to make in the strings wrong because bends create weak spots if you don't do them correctly.

I've read these strings make the Rotosound Swing 66's sound almost DULL....if you can believe that, RS!!!!

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Those adjustable ball ends are a pain. I bought
    a whole box of them (8 sets) to give them a good
    honest tryout; I went back to the regular RS66
    set, just that bare core over the bridge just
    isn't enough mass, I lost a lot of low end in
    my tone.

6. I read ont the Rotosound.com webpage that they were John Paul Jones' (Zeppelin, Man!) favorites. I was thinking about trying them sometime...about how much do they cost here in the US?

7. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    So rickbass...did you string 'em up yet?

8. rickbass

What can I say, rs?!?!...I still waiting for one of my sets of DR's to sound bad but they're like the Energizer bunny!

9. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Yeah, I know what you mean rickbass....I love my Lo-Riders! I've always been curious about these Rotosound Piano String Design sets. I've never had much luck with taperwound/ exposed core sets. The ones I've tried have all been very difficult to intonate properly to my ears. I think that the further the taper from the witness point, the more off the intonation will be. With these adjustable Rotosounds, you should be able to make them the exact length that you need. Have you had any luck with any other taperwound/ exposed core brands? BTW, I've never tried the tapered DR sets because of all the bad things that I've heard about them but I have tried the following: Dean Markley SR2000, Labella Super Steps, Trace Elliott Stainless (not made anymore), and GHS Contact Core SuperSteels. All of these were on various Fender Basses. All the sets exhibited some sort of weird overtones in the upper registers on the E and A strings. It was as if there were two pitches being played at once. Anyway...sorry for the rambling post!!

10. rickbass

Ramble on, rs! You always have good string info.

My apology for picking up your post so late...........(why all these outdoor gigs come up during the month when the weather is hotter than a gun without serial numbers is beyond me!!! :bawl: )

Re: the tapers/exposed cores - Carvin's repair shop put some really good sounding strings on a bass I had that were tapers. Trouble was - they died a quick death after only 24 hrs. of playing time!!!

Decades ago, I used Fender tapers (8250's???) but then Rotosounds, (and later DR's) showed up in the stores and I forgot all about Fender strings for good.

I really don't buy based on wrap/construction. I'm game to try anything to see how they work. But it seems that some tapers/exposed cores force you to set up your bridge too screwy since they don't set as high in the saddles as other designs, depending on the bass. Then, the doggone truss rod may even have to be tweaked, too... :rolleyes: