Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rotosound Quality Control?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Hi,

I just had my bass setup a few days ago by my local tecky.

now, when I picked up the bass at his store, it was fine and played well... when I got home, started playing and found something I'd never heard before...

Vibration buzz on the A string... not fretbuzz, vibration... i looked everywhere to see if anything had come loose on the saddle or something, nope. it was fine... couldnt figure it out so took it back to the store, and he couldnt figure it out either, so, we substituted the A string, and all of a sudden, it was fine again. Seems I got a bum string... it looked perfect, my guess is something inside the spires was broken, making that extremely anoying vibration sound... oh well... never had that happen, and as I've seen comments on Rotosound's quality control, thought I'd ask you guys if this had ever happened to you...

2. WOW. The same EXACT thing happened to me w/ a set of Roto's. My set were the Roto Bass Nickle's and it was the E strings. It sounded exactly as you described, and the string looked normal. Cmon Rotosound! :scowl:

3. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I just posted this in another thread. I'm sure there are a lot of veteran Fender players on this forum who know what I'm talking about:

"There is a "Fender A string buzz" phenomenom. Due to the lack of a break angle for the A-string on basses with a Fender-style headstock, if you do not have enough wrappings around the string post on the A-string, it will not sit in the nut properly and will buzz when played open. You said that you noticed this "buzz" first on the A-string, then the others. When you get the buzz on the other strings, is the A-string muted? The A-string may be vibrating sympathetically with the other strings. Check how your A-string goes over the nut. I have seen Fender-style basses where the A-string was straight from the nut to the string post (one was mine, the first time I ever strung my Fender!). Always leave a little extra on your A-string when restringing a Fender-style."

Chances are your Rotosound was fine, just make sure that you wrap your A-string properly when restringing.

4. my bass is a G&L and it was the E strings.

5. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    So the "EXACT SAME THING" didn't happen to you! ;) :D

Didn't say there couldn't be string issues, just that pesky A string. Basses with double string trees or angled back head stocks don't have this problem.

6. Ok, first of all, I've restrung that bass a few times, and never has that happened. and yes, I know that the lack of angle on the fender headstock requires special stringing, namely winding it about 3 times around the "thingy-ma-bob" spiraling downwards so that it adds preassure.

Now, I noticed it in the A string ,and later the E string, but by this time, I'd replaced the A string, and that one didnt buzz anymore. it was definitly the string. we tried restringing it making sure that it was super perfect, but the problem persisted.