1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rotosound RN 66LD for my ricky

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RickenTalker, Dec 13, 2011.

1. RickenTalker

RickenTalker

Nov 4, 2010
    I put some of the stainless steel rotosound swing bass strings on my rickenbacker a few days ago. While the clean tone sounds amazing, my distortion tone sounds like a bunch of nasty clank. I typically use a lot of distortion when I play so this kinda sucks. In the past I have used nickle strings and have had good results.

So GC has the Roto Sound RN 66 LD. These are the nickle on steel strings. Can someone tell me if these strings will be less clanky and more like nickle strings, or should I just order the pure nickle strings that roto makes?

2. RickenTalker

RickenTalker

Nov 4, 2010
    Bumping. I need answers
    !

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Well... RS66LDN's are Nickel Plated Steel so they will be more like Nickel Plated Steel strings you have played in the past.

Rotosound does not make any Pure Nickel bass strings. They have the Rotobass strings which are basically their Nickel Plated Steel strings without any silk on them so they are lower cost.

If you are not hearing any clank with your clean tone it could be something else... Distortion is going to amplify any tones you are getting out of your bass, good or bad... So most likely, your bass is still clanking when playing clean. Make sure you are not slapping the strings against the fingerboard by plucking downwards maybe?

pmad_bass likes this.
  4. RickenTalker

RickenTalker

Nov 4, 2010
    Well this was basically the answer I was looking for. I've used Ernie ball strings in the past, so the nickle plated strings should do those justice.