Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rotosound rs4000?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by skacrow1, Apr 3, 2005.

1. skacrow1

skacrow1

Mar 28, 2005
    has anyone used these strings and what are your thoughts on them. i ve tryed supernils but didn t dig the e or a too much. i was wondering with the steel wrapped a and e if that gives a better sound.hows the tension ect, thanks

2. rick123

rick123

Oct 20, 2001
    Evanston, Wyoming
    I have a set of Roto's on my old Kay. I had bought them months ago during my quest for the Holy Grail bluegrass string. Jamming for hours was killing my fingers. I used them on a decent student bass for a while but I was never happy with the E string so I switched it out for a Spiro. I'm using a similar set up on the old Kay and it works quite well.
    I was very unhappy with Supernyls (have a slightly used set for sale cheap, ha) for a number of reasons and felt like the Roto's were a step up for lower tension strings. They are quite inexpensive through major music chain stores and you may be satisfied with the E string.

3. rick123

rick123

Oct 20, 2001
    Evanston, Wyoming
    I agree with what you've said Jason. My Christopher is strung with Spiros. I favor the sharp attack (can you say attack on this forum?) and clarity. However, if you've ever jammed at a bluegrass festival for what seems like, and probably is, days, you either have no feeling in your extremities or you'ved considered more flexible strings, be they Golden Spirals,solid guts or rubber bands. Hey, and good work advising the guys to cut the Supernils. Don't try to tell us you didn't know what would happen! hee hee

4. Yes I have tried these strings, even though they are currently associated with RAB and are used alot in Europe for this purpose. I think folks in England have used them for Jazz for a long time. I became interested and curious because they are the only strings used by Herbie Flowers (remember Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side?) and I liked his tone. He apparently was given 40 sets by Jame Howe in the '60's and hasn't run out yet. Guess what? they are great strings for Jazz too. The only thing is the top strings are incredibly light and floppy but somehow they manage to get a good acoustic tone. They are kind of a bronze color so they look like gut from a distance. I used them in a medium size dinner hall with no amp and was at least audible. These are strange strings like no other. They are not at all like Supernyls. The bottom strings are feel weird too but they sound great. They sound kind of like TI Dominants. They are a cheap alternative to gut strings for those who want to get some of the gut flavor without going all they way or who need a really light string. You can bow them, but it's tough. I like them, but they are just too weird for me. For what they are, they are without peer. My .02.

Jon

5. *fenderbass*

*fenderbass*

Dec 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I have them on my carved German and like them. The D string is actually the largest string gauge-wise. The E and A are steel wrapped nylon and the D and G are just nylon. They took a while to break in, but they are lower tension and easy on the fingers. Depending on your setup, you can really dig in.