Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rotosound RS77's and 99's..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Anyone have any experience with them? I'm assembling a fretless in a few months. It'll have a darkstar pickup, maple neck with a maple FB.. Under these conditions which will sound more jazzy? I'm not looking for a jacoish tone.. I'm looking for a good thump with not too much high end. I know the 99's will have a brighter Jaco'esk mwah to them.. Help?

2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    in my experience, the roto 77's are pretty midrangy, and have a decent amount of highs. I have them on a fretted jazz right now and like them. They are stiffies tho, so if you want a looser feel, maybe try something else. If you want more thump than Rotos, I'd suggest Fender flats 9050ML (lots of thump, very powerful), Daddario Chromes (a little less thump, more midrange than 9050s but still pretty thumpy), lighter Labellas (not the Jamersons, unless you like huge cables), GHS Precision flats (much like the Fenders in tone, but looser feel), or the ole "life of the party" "teacher's pet" "most popular kid in school" string of the day- TI flats.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    What's the TI website?

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    The 77's and 99's are at opposite ends of the brightness
    scale as far as Rotosounds go. The 77's are monel flatwounds,
    the 99's are the "piano string design". The 99's are now a
    "one size fits all" and I've found the adjustable ball ends to
    be a pain...They also seem to have less girth and bottom;
    something to do with less mass over the bridge as they
    are of a contact core design. If you want Jaco, go with the
    regular RS66 stainless set, that was Jaco's string, if you want something a little less bright, try the 55's which are compression wound, or the nickel version of the 66's which
    have an "N" at the end of the model #

Cheers,
    Slug

5. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    website is http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/
    If you are not familiar with the TI's (JF344 for 4 string) they are very low tension flats. Some have a hard time with them, others say they don't mind the looseness and in fact prefer it. They are not as thumpy as the other flats I mentioned above. They have more midrange IMO.