Rotosound RS99 Piano String Design review (attn: rickbass)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rsautrey, Aug 16, 2003.

1. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Hey rickbass...this is for you man!! I figured I'd get your attention with a new thread rather than digging up the one that you started awhile back. I broke down a finally bought a set of RS99 LD-G with the adjustable ball end. For those that don't know, these sets are contact core stainless steel roundwounds with an adjustable ball end. A word of caution.....these are a complete PITA to install! Unless you are like me and like to tinker with your bass, you will not like putting these strings on! They take patience and some work to achieve the desired results but it is so worth it. These sets come with instructions for attaching the adjustable ball ends that I found very easy to understand. Out of 4 strings, I got one adjusted correctly on the first try and if you screw up (like I did on the other 3 strings) you can start over and do it again. The screw ups are because you want to have the exposed core to be no more than about 6 to 8mm past the bridge saddle so correct measuring is crucial. If you don't do this your intonation will suck...which is why most other tapered sets never sound right to my ears.

I have these on my Fender Jazz strung through the body. There is enough core length to do this easily with these strings. These sound just like Dean Markley SR2000 to me....piano string ring, agressive midrange and Super Bright highs. The thing that differs from the SR2000 is that I can get decent intonation due to the adjustable ball end. With the SR2000, one length fits all which on my bass leaves quite a bit of taper past the bridge saddle. These strings are extremely bright and muscial and have what I would call a med/tight tension for the gauge 105 85 65 45. They have red silk wrapping at the headstock (like Swing Bass sets) and are quite abrasive....especially compared to my usual stainless steel DR Lo-Riders. The sound is exceptional though and I would suggest that you give them a try if you haven't yet rickbass. BTW, I also play acoustic gui*** and I bought a set of the Rotosound Country Gold (piano string design) strings and they are just as awesome as these bass sets. looks like I may be back to Rotosound. I hope they maintain the quality of the sets that I've tried. I used to use Swing Bass religiously in the late 80's/early 90's but was getting too many dead strings and had to give up on them.