1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rotosound Solo bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by vgbassman, Apr 25, 2018.

1. vgbassman

vgbassman Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2016
    NJ
    Hey guys,
    anyone tried Rotosound Solo bass... pressure wound... I saw reviews on GHS pressure wounds... mixed reviews...

The set is a little pricier than the other Rotos... I like the regular 66 but also really like the Rotosound nickles...

... just looking for some input before I spend 25-30 bucks just to try pressure wounds... if you know what I mean...

thanks

2. The most unique feature of the GHS Pressurewound, aside from being "rollerwound", is the nickel-iron alloy (aka Alloy52) used for the wrap wire, which is more responsive dynamically than the regular SS or NPS, resulting in extra punch and crunch. Alloy 52 is also longer-lasting than SS or NPS.

As far as I know, the Roto Solo Bass has SS for the outer wrap.

3. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Here is a sample recording of Rotosound 55 40-100 set on a fretless Fender Jazz bass:

I like the sound very much; this is basically my ideal sound for fretless bass. However, to my surprise, the pressurewound Rotosound 55 strings seemed to chew into the fretless fingerboard a good bit more than expected.

I like the sound of the Rotosound 55 slightly better than GHS Pressurewounds, but I think they sound very similar to each other, and the GHS strings have a much smoother feel. I'm glad that I tried the 55s, as not much has been written about them, and I learned from personal experience. But for me, I am planning to return the GHS Pressurewounds for this bass, next time I [buy new strings to] restring it.

michael_t likes this.
  4. Robert Bass

Robert Bass

Aug 21, 2015
    USA
    I just put a set of the Rotosound 55 Solo Bass (45 - 105) strings on my J bass, and am very pleased.

They seem to have more tension than the Swing bass 66 set (45 - 105) and are smoother to the touch. In my opinion, they are not as bright as the 66 set when both are new, but the 55 set has plenty of midrange and low end.

5. This is exactly how I would compare the GHS Pressurewounds to the Boomers.

6. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Roto Swing 66 Steels but made as a pressurewound.

So - smoother, less bright fresh on, tiny bit more tension and better low mids / lows.

7. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    UGH...

The next time I have a fretless in need of strings, these strings they are. That stuff sounded fantastic.

trothwell likes this.