Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rotosound stops production?!?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Le Basseur, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    A few minutes a go I got an info mail from my German string dealer,Andre Schneider from www.saitenkatalog.de wich says:
    "Rotosound stopped the production. We will therefore stop selling these strings starting from tomorrow and we will only offer stocks.
    If and when Rotosound starts again is not known at present. "
    What's going on?

2. Perhaps they meant just a certain type of string?

3. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    I really don't know...usually,Andre is very precise and specific and he'd mention if it's only a certain type of strings to be stopped.
    I'm afraid that this info means...oh well,what it says.
    (I'm not a Rotosound fan or user anymore because of QC issues but I'd really suffer to see that another icon goes down...):rollno:

4. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

QC is exactly why i stopped using them years ago.
    :mad:

5. If they were depending on me to remain in business, they'd have stopped production a long time ago!

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Their website still says that they'll be at MusikMesse later on this month. Trade shows are not generally attended by companies looking to stop producing and selling their product. Sounds like an internet rumor or miscommunication to me.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Oh no, I can't find Funk Master strings on their website! Thats what geddy was using in the mid 80's, light Funk Masters!

no! :crying:

8. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    i emailed john from rotosound a month ago, i know that they upgraded their factory and their QC in the last period so i think it's like when my father went to buy his regular sunglasses (rayban) and the seller told him that they closed down the company and sold him something else.

9. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I assume QC is quality control. What kinds of problems have you guys had?

10. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Oh man, I sure hope they don't, I really like their strings and they're reasonably-priced, to boot. :meh:

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yes, I'd like to hear aout the QC issues too, I'm a firm supporter of Rotosound but would not hesitate to move onto another brand if I felt there were problems...what issues have you encountered?

12. That would suck, sounds like an internet rumour tho, altho, im not really a big fan, dont like the sound, the feel or how quickly they seem to die on me

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I had a QC problem on a set I bought recently. They soon came off the bass, and that's the end of that as far as me buying Rotos.

14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I bought a set of Roto flats. The E string looked and felt like it wasn't *finished*. It had rough spots in random places.

It also sounded kinda dead out of the package, and very dead not long after.

I have read other stories here at TB about other people having a string in the set dead on arrival or dead soon after.

Bass strings cost too much - to me - to fool around. I have Never been disappointed with DAddarios, and I'll stick with them.

15. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I just spoke to Coral at the US distribution office. Rotosound is NOT closing down! They are training a new US distribution manager, however. BTW, I use Rotos pretty much exclusively, and I haven't had a bum string in almost 5 years, and I go through a LOT of strings..

Cheers,

Slug

16. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> Total nonsense....

17. jazzbass64

jazzbass64

Jan 8, 2006
    Swingbass in 45-105 gauge are my current strings for a year now.Affordable and simply the best strings for me on my 2 jazz bass.I hope they will continu to be produced.They are a part of my sound and there is a real signature (original) in the sound.They are like fender basses, an icon.
    The sound is great out of the box, and yes when they die they die but just like all the strings I have try.
    I have had a A string broken after 2 weeks of use ! Not sure if it was a QC or if I have made a mistake on the installation at this time...

18. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    one of the best thing about rotosound is their service,
    if you get a bad string write them an email and they will get you a new one with no problems.
    i tried all brands and rotosound and dean markley have a great quality control.

19. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    before moving to Knuckleheads I used nothing but Rotosounds. It would suck if they do close down, even though it wouldn't affect me much :-D