Rotosound Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by iceblinko, Feb 28, 2004.

1. iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Call me a moron, but I've been playing for 13 years and I just heard of these strings now! A new friend was just raving about them recently. He's suprised that I have never tried them on my P bass. I was wondering, do any of you use them? What are some opinions?.. thanks all!

2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah. They are pretty smooth sounding. If your bass is set up right, you can get that piano like sound from them. I like a little more growl than they offer.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I use the Billy Sheehan set on my P-bass...110 for the E and 43 for the G for nice balance, and works well with drop tunings. They're punchy, and bright...but hell on fingers.
  4. A couple days after I just couldn't live with those nickel Ernie Ball Super Slinky 5s (and their tension (or lack thereof), which is only a couple notches above a shoestring), I went back to the music store and got me some Swing Bass 66s for my Stingray 5. I am a happy (or even slap-happy) man again. The sound, the tension, the TONE. Yes! Yes! Yes!

To the person who said they're rough on the hands, try a lighter gauge and break em in. Eventually they feel like they're at one with the bass.

From now on, I'll play nothing but Rotosounds.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Oh, no, I'm not complaining. Good bass strings hurt :) Besides, with all the bending I do, I feel worse for my frets than my fingers lol. They're tough, but they sound and feel great!
  6. What is this piano sound you guys speak of? I also play piano, but I don't quite get it. Piano strings are hit with felted wooden hammers - different from the way bass strings are plucked. But please do explain. I personally want my bass to sound like a bass and not a piano :)

Gotta love those Rotos, though...Those Brits make great strings. :)
  7. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Piano like sound is simply about the strings sounding very bright and clean (think Chris Squire or John Entwhistle), rather than a dull thud like old flatwounds sometimes sound.

They will sustain more like when a piano is played with the sustain pedal, whereas flatwounds (and some roundwounds) the sound will die off rather quickly.
  8. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I'll use Rotosounds until the day I put down my bass. I gotta find out if you can buy in bulk though, 40 bucks a pop everytime I want to change strings (at 3 basses, all 3 of which get heavy playing)
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The local place around here sells Rotosound jazz bass sets for around 15 bucks. So, not a bad deal.
  10. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I like Roto's ... but if you like Rotosounds you will love DR's! TO me they are almost the same but DR's have a little better tone and last about 3 times long.
  11. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA

I have always liked Rotosounds (and have used them for years), but after trying DRs on my 5-string I have finally found something even better.
  12. I have been using Rotos for about 15 years. I tried several other brands but always came back to Rotos (although Trace Elliot strings were damned good when you could get them!).

However recently I found La Bella Hard Rockin Steels very much to my liking (after 2 duff sets of 5 String Rotos!!!!). Still have Rotos on my P-bass, and they are the dogs to rough on the hands, well, I always found them 'dry' to the touch...but my callouses are well enough developed now to deal with that!
  13. dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    I also got the piano sound with them. It was quite amazing, my friend played a low e with the piano, i slapped an e and they sounded almost exactly the same, though bass has a bit more low end through an amp.

They are actually pretty good, the sharp steely sound only lasted for a week or so, but after that they gave a cool solo sound, "woolsocky" and no treble at all. But if you slap a lot, don't buy them, unless you like the sound of old strings (or change strings twice a month).
  14. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I've broken nearly every string made, so durability is key for me and my aggressive style (aggressive just sounds better than uncouth or retarded).

I have found that the Rotosound Swing Bass seem to be the strongest and last me the longest (I usually get 3 weeks out of a set)

I also really like the sound of them on my rig...

However, I've been thinking of trying some other strings again to get a brighter tone. The Rotos seem to dull out on me after a week or so.

So, if you are looking for durability and a better than avergage tone for fingerstyle, slapping, and strumming, clean and effect driven, I would highly recommend these.

If you are looking for a specific tone, and limit yourself to a certain style, there are probably better ones for ya!
  15. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    RS66LB's Roundwounds

35 years

I've always come back to them, but TI Jazz flatwounds are in my future. Many have said they're da buttt.

We'll soon see, I hope.
  16. I wonder what Rotosound swing bass would be like with a coating á la Elixer poly/nanoweb?
    seems like it would solve the rough feel and rapid deadening problems....
  17. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    I suppose to a piano player there's no similarity but to this bass player, when you hit a note it sounds like a piano (a real one, not a keyboard) not a bass.
  18. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    All my basses are strung with TI jazz flats. I love 'em. Anytime I get a new bass in I keep the rounds on (they ALWAYS come with rounds) for one night of practice just so I remember why. Some rounds have some nice tones for sure but the damage they do to a bass, the tension, the squeaks, and the feel make them short-lived on any bass I have. A lot of people think TI's suck. But I still have the first set I ever bought on the bass (2 years +) and the older they get the better they sound. Try that with a set of rounds.