rotosound swing 66 are fret eaters?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dace, Jan 23, 2004.

1. dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    i'm thinking about trying Rotosound swing 66 strings, but i've been hearing from other bassists that they wear out frets quite quickly.

has anyone else has this problem?
  2. a lot of stainless steel strings wear out the frets over time.

3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Roto's die very quickly, ok on my frets.
  4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Roto's used to be the shiznit in the 70's and 80's but they are quite outdated IMHO. They are rather uncomfy do to the tension, they do indeed die quick and I think that the fret eating complaint is an old one. Most bass strings ase SS now and I do not think that frets are as soft as they were in the 70's....particularly the Rickenbacker basses whos frets were very very soft.
  5. dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    thanks guys. i was hoping that the unsually high fret wear was a problem with the older batches of strings.

oh well i'll give them a try and see how long they last.
  6. StuBass

Dec 27, 2003
    I did use roto's between about '92&'94 and I did love them (even though I haven't gone back to them yet) I used to use a lot of vibrato back then and the bottom 1/2 dozen frets do have noticable notches. I never noticed that they died quickly at all but then again I've gotten two years out of set of strings(Yuk!).

8/10 for tone. 6/10 for life and 4/10 for fret wear.
    But as they say horses for courses!
  7. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    I used Roto's Swing 66 strings for many years quite some time ago. I did love their sound but they did seem more agressive on my fingers and frets and they seemed to die more quickly as compared to other brands of stainless steel strings. I still use stainless steel strings on all of my basses because I love the brightness I get out of them but, I would not use Rotosound strings anymore.
  8. adolganov

Jan 15, 2004
    The same experience, no more swingbass for me... Anyway, for about a 5 years I dig the pure nickel roundwounds (heavy gauge D'addario slowounds), they are so smooth under the fingers :)
  9. Slowounds are nickelPLATED. Anyway, they're discontinued so you'll have to look for something else. I Think Fender makes an all nickel string.
  10. adolganov

Jan 15, 2004
    :bawl: :( :eek:

(runs like a fool to a musicshop where they've been seen yesterday)
  11. Yeah - it's a bummer. No one really knows what's going on at D'addario's. I'm gonna start out trying their XL's. EB Slinkies are somewhat similair to SW's so you might wanna try those.
  12. Hi - I've used Rotos for about 15 years ....tried other strings, but wasn't happy with anything else really that is still around today (Trace Elliot Strings were good.....wonder who made them for them......)

Anyway, I never noticed :-

a) Excessive fret wear from Rotos
    b) that they died quickly......I found they lasted quite a while...up to 1 year without any issues a lot of the time....

I do find them dry to the touch.....some folks say rough....I didn't mind it...

However, recently I got a couple of packs that didn't do it for me I tried La Bella Hard Rockin Steels on my 2 five stringers and am now very happy.......I could see me switch to La Bellas now.......