1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rotosound Swing 66 vs D'Addario Prosteel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stan_da_man, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    I recently rediscovered Rotosound nickels and have been enjoying them on my Jazz. This got me thinking - I want to give the Swing 66 Steels another shot.

My question is tension/flex. I used Prosteels back in the day all the time and I know they're similar to the Rotos but I can't remember how much tension either string has. If someone who has experience of both could help me with how both strings feel in tension and flexibility then it would be much appreciated.

2. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Anyone?

3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    My 2 cents...

I used to use the Swing 66 SS in the 80s and they were my numero uno. Then I went to a did not remember brand in the 90s. Then as a nostalgic thing, I bought them again in 2015, at the same time I had Pro Steels on another bass.

The Pro Steels was the EPS220-5 (40-60-75-95-125) which felt comfortable on both sides of my fretting and plucking fingers. While the Rotos, I started with RS665LD (45-65-85-105-130) and then went down to RS665LB (35-55-70-90-120), cause the first set didn't feel comfortable. So basically, these were even lower gauges than the Pro Steels, but in terms of tension/flex which translates to comforts on my fingers, the EPS220-5 won my favor. Maybe it was their tension/flex, but it could also be caused by that abrasive texture of the outer wraps which Roto steels are known for, which made them even worse.

Stan_da_man likes this.