1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Rotosound Swing Bass 66 Stainless Steel on an Acoustic

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HiEnd Basses, May 15, 2016.

1. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Fender Kingman Dreadnought. Think Rotosound Stainless Steels will work?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Sure they'll work but you're gonna get a whole lot of string noise and zing.

3. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    Hmm. What's best? Phosphor Bronze?

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Best for what? What kind of sound do you want?

5. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    Well, it may be a silly answer, but I wanted to stay with Rotosound. They don't appear to make Acoustic Bass Strings.

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    It will only cost you $20 and some time. Give them a whirl. I have thought about that combination but am happy with D'Addario tape wounds on my Breedlove

tfer, jd56hawk and HiEnd Basses like this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    InhumanResource and HiEnd Basses like this.
  8. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I can't say I've ever heard of a positive review for them. I don't think I've heard a negative review either. Phosphor bronze strings will give you the most acoustic-ey sound but will come with a lot of finger noise. Really any rounds will do. Roto steels would be fine if you like the feel of them. Probably just as noisy as these. Tapewounds are a very popular option for acoustic basses. Light flats work well too. All depends on the sound you want.

HiEnd Basses likes this.
  10. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    For the record, these strings are advertised on the site under Bass Strings; I was looking under Acoustic. Glad that they're there.

11. The squeakiest strings there are, and they make your finders gray. Waste a few bucks and see how your straight SS strings work.

12. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    Can't hurt. Thanks for the advice!

13. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    They'll work but probably won't be the loudest strings you can use for the acoustic bass. Ernie Ball makes bronze strings as well.

14. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    As does DR. Those should be excellent strings but have never heard anything about them.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021