1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rotosound Swing Bass 66 strings or D'Addario Chrome Flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by o11ieth3magicbu, Mar 10, 2008.

1. o11ieth3magicbu

o11ieth3magicbu

Mar 6, 2008
    im trying to debate whether i should get some rotosounds for my jazz bass or some d'addario flatwounds. i have some rotosound jazz bass strings on my ibanez and they feel awesome but it would be weird for me to make the full transition to flatwounds. anyone want to help?

2. You're debating between bright roundwounds and mellow flatwounds? Yeah, that is a little difficult. What style do you play?

3. o11ieth3magicbu

o11ieth3magicbu

Mar 6, 2008
    thats just it. i play alot of stuff. jazz. metal. funk. ive dabbled in alot of stuff which is why its so hard. currently im playing in a metal band and my fingers are being shredded by my roundwounds. but im just not sure if i can switch over to flats easily

4. Yeah, I like the high overtones of roundwounds enough to find something "wanting" in flats.

Have you thought about groundwound or compression wound strings, then? Rotosound Solo 55's come in mind for compression wound, and there are a bunch of groundwound strings out there.

5. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    GHS Pressure Wounds. Brightness of rounds, slick feel of flats. Perfect balance of each with the tone.