Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rotosound "Swing Bass 66"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Well, I got a spare set of strings when I got my bass today. Don't know what's on the instrument now, but the above is what I bought to replace them with when the time comes.

The pack describes them as Stainless Steel strings.

I think I've seen on these boards that stainless strings are very bright and punchy - not exactly what I'd ideally be looking for in a string.

Comments please, guys.

Thanks.

Rockin John

2. Based on the influences listed on your profile I'd say Rotosounds are a good choice of strings. A lot of classic rock bassists use Rotosound Swing 66 including John Paul Jones, John Entwhistle (not any more but he used to be a major endorser). I don't think Jack Bruce used them (I believe he used D'Addario Slow-wounds) but they're definitely the right type of strings for the sound I gather you're looking for.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I find Roto 66's to be bright and punchy, as you mentioned, but they have a nice, deep bottom, and I find them thumpier than other stainless strings I've used.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In the 70's and 80's, I lived on a diet of Swing 66's. I was playing mostly punk and they were the brightest, rawest, edgiest, high quality strings I could find.

But they didn't last as long as DR Hi Beams, and the DR's were almost identical, soundwise, to me.

Maybe some DR Lo Riders would better suit your tastes, (I don't use them, but that doesn't mean they aren't great strings). "The Bass Gear Review" page or a search here for Lo Riders could give you some info on their qualities.

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Besides DR, Rotos are the only other string I'll use. They have a great sound for rock. They will sound pretty snappy and bright when you first put them on, but they'll break in once they're played a bit.

Until I tried Lo Riders, the RS66LD is all that was on any of my basses. I still buy them too, about 3:1 in favor of the DR's. I still like Rotos on at least one of my 4 strings at all times. They get a killer raw tone for certain stuff.

You might find them rough on the fingers. I never really minded because stainless is all I ever play. Give them a try, then when you're done, maybe check out the Lo Riders. ;)