1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rotosound Swing Bass 66

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by babaseen, Sep 18, 2008.

1. babaseen

babaseen The BJFE Blueberry for sale Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    In your unbiased opinion:smug:, what string manufacturer and string type would be the closest match to the Swing Bass 66 set?

2. There's really nothing quite like those, and they stock 'em at GC. What have you got against RS?

3. babaseen

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Hey that's the answer I was considering someone might bring up...there's no close match tonally...Rotosounds 66 are unique...guess I'll stick with them...thanks

by the way, with all due respect...check all my posts i don't hold anything against any vendor, it's mostly personal taste (although I would rarely consider purchasing strings at GC based on price)...but I thought this site was named talkbass and this type of banter was acceptable

4. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I think he was just asking, as you'd need a to have a problem with Rotos to look for another identical sounding string, no?

I haven't found any other string to sound quite like them either, though DR SS Lo Riders come the closest of the rounds I've tried. The do miss a bit of the metallic clank and signature overtones of the Rotosounds, but are a great string in their own right.

5. babaseen

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    NO??? not necessarily, its just based on a quest for tone that never ends (especially when it comes to strings)...but your comments on Lo Riders are similar to my experience...thanks

6. Stadium E;ites are worth a try, perhaps a bit brighter but they last longer IMO, not sure if you can get them in the states though

7. opps thats Elites if you hadn't guessed

8. babaseen

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Thanks, Paul...I've heard good things about Elites from other players (never tried though) but they are not easily available in the US. I've ordered Hotwires from Status in the UK and was very impressed and have Allparts strings on the Bravewood (jury is still out).

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    There was a set of GHS boomers on my fretless when I bought it new that sounded close to the RS's I use. But, since I found a place online where I can get RS 66 for like $15 a set, I just buy those.

10. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008
    RS66LD's for $15 a set?

Don't hold back, brother... post that link!

11. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I can't remember the exact price, but I bought a twin pack from Tom Bowers' ebay store for well under $30 US. Worth checking out.

12. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008

Thanks, sent him a message about a bulk deal.

13. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    It was through Amazon.com...I did a search through them and it came up. When I get home tonight Ill dig up the exact URL and post it.

14. babaseen

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Found a good deal at Elderly (14.85 a set if you buy two):D

That's funny:rolleyes:, had to wait for this thread to get more info on my original post: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473229&page=2

Oh yeah, kudos to Rotosound USA for excellent customer service if an when you get a defective string (they are prompt):cool:

For me it's back to Rotosound (used in the 70s & 80s, experimented in the 90s and early 00s, home again in late '08):bassist: