1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rotosound swing bass and elixirs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Alexdeth89, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

May 7, 2012
    Hermosillo
    Stainless steel rotos are one of my fav strings, I love that aggressive bright snap I can get.
    I've tried other brands of strings which are brighter and with more high end, like SIT rock brights or D'Addario prosteels and they're cool but Rotos have the right amount of brightness and punch for my style of playing.

The only problem with rotos is that I can only get 2 weeks of good sound and then it's over.
    I'm spending a lot of cash and I'm tired of soaking strings in denatured alcohol just to get a few more days.

There are elixir strings at my local store, since they're coated I know they'll last much longer than average strings but I was wondering if they can compare to rotos in brilliance and clarity

2. I don't think elixir have stainless steels. They're kinda expensive but they last. I have a set of nickels on my bass and they still sound new after two weeks. Takes a while to get used to the feeling of the coating though.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  4. Ooh. Gotta get myself some. Been looking for some coated stainless steels. Now to just get some money...

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    No. I like roto swing 66 sound and dislike elixers sound.

6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    If you like Rotos you wont like the elixers. Coated strings just dont have that real bright sound. Ive been using DR Hi-Beams. They are not as bright as the Rotos but they seem to last much longer.

7. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    +1 to what AdamR said. Rotos are bright and grindy, Elixirs are dull and rubbery.

8. Well, one man's meat is another man's poison. Elixirs work for me, I don't find them lacking brightness. But whatever. Your opinion, right?

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Coated strings will NOT sound like Rotos.

Unfortunately there is no substitute for steel. Blue Steels are almost as nice as Rotos, but I like Rotos better. They chew the crap out of my frets.

10. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  12. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY

These have been great for me, got a few free from dr for trail and i do love them. Will goto jason at bso when im done with these sets, a big surprise that a lot of jazz guys use here are the DDT ,but i like the dragon skins best. They have least coated feel of the coated strings. I am a regular user of fatbeams and dadd prosteels, both my preference over roto steels. Also, i tried elixers in the trial of the new coated ad found top end lacking. I play finger style on a jazz bass and mostly straight ahead jazz and some fusion.

13. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Absolutely my opinion, I didn't care for Elixirs, but it's all good that you enjoy them. It's great that we have so many different choices to find what works best for us. :)

14. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

May 7, 2012
    Hermosillo
    That's interesting, I've never heard of dragon skin before. This guy says they are basically high beams with the coating on

15. Well, Dragon Skins are quite good. Had a set before, the tone was unique. Not sure if you'll like it, especially for the price. But then again, coated will always cost more than their uncoated counterparts. Its just one of those things.

16. thumpslap

thumpslap

Jun 6, 2012
    My ernie ball stainless strings have held up for almost 3 mouths. They sound pretty good, they have a little to much range though. Low and then they jump right to highs

17. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Honestly, No I havent. Ive tried there guitar strings and acoustic string and just didnt like them. I love my Rotos but recently switch to DR's because the Roto's just dont last long and the DRs stay bright much longer. The Drs and a nice, But they still arent my Rotos