Rotosound Swingbass66

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jan 26, 2002.

1. I love these strings! I had Dean Markley groundwounds on my bass for the longest time... they play great but sound like absolute crap. (No cash to change them.) Just recently I got some rotosounds at the advice of a guy at the music store (I'm pretty picky with strings, but I trust this guy) and I love them! I put them on my PRS and played two gigs with them, and they sound better the more I use them. I think I finally found a string that I'm going to *keep* buying, instead of buying a different kind everytime I needed new strings. They sound great for the type of tone I'm going for (lower mids boosted, higher mids cut)

So what do you think of them, and what type of bass do you have on them?
  2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I think they have great punch, and bite, but I don't agree with the "low mids" thing.

I think they sound as if they have a good deal of high mids in there. :)

I'd like to try the DR hi-beams for my next set of strings, though. :)
  3. got Roto 66's on my Warmoth P, Fender P Plus, Hohner B2A and Dearmond Jetstar special.

an old set of Roto 55 pressurewounds on my Eko semi and Roto 77 flats on my defretted Hohner acoustic.

Roto 66's have lots of twang when new - they're behind JJ Burnel(The Stranglers), Chris Squire, John Entwistle(though he endorses Maxima now), Simon Gallup(The Cure), Billy Sheehan(although he endorses Snarling Dogs now), Bruce Foxton (The Jam) and Geddy Lee's tones.

interestingly, an ad for Dean Markley strings a few years ago boasted that they were "5 times brighter than RRRRRRRotosounds", yet everyone here says that Rotosounds are amongst the brightest strings.
  4. EQ, and lots of it. :D
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Roto 66's have a (well-deserved IMO) reputation for dying fast. However, they are THE classic rock string, as well as THE classic stainless roundwound. For me, they're the baseline string, the string that everything else is compared to. I'm currently craving that nickel "warmth", so I'm not using them, but everyone should at least try a set.
  6. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I have them on one of my basses right now... I used to use them a lot, but then I discovered GHS boomers.
  7. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I like Rotosound Swing Bass a lot on my Rick 4001V63.

I have to admit that the quality can vary from sets to sets. You can have a very good set that will last very long and another one that will not even go through one gig.
  8. I use Rotosound Swingbass Strings on my '98 Peavy Fury P-style bass, and they are absolutely fantastic, hey give you such a great sound, whether you go for a 60's and 70's Gypsy Blues Rock(Zeppelin, The Who, Jimi Hendrix) sound like me, or if your more of a jazzy, or funky style(Jaco, Victor Bailey.) I only wish I had a better bass, b/c I hate P-Basses with a passion. But I've never played a string that I really was impressed with until I played RS66's.
  9. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I found the Roto's 66 very good. I dont use them anymore but I use to on my fretless Warwick Corvette Standard. I thought that bass was pretty much dead sounding as is (which is why i returned it) but I slapped on some Roto's and that thing sounded "grindin'" It made the fretless alive. I can't explain the tone but I liked it (but hated the playability of the Warwick). The roto's did dig into the ebony board but hey, tone is first, dressing is second.... it made a nice grinding tone for my fretless, real aggressive....

I tried Rotos on my pentabuzz and well, they sounded TERRIBLE. Its because of the coated board. I have to stick to nickelwound strings only for my Pentabuzz, they sound amazing...