Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rotosound tapewound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cjazz50, Mar 7, 2003.

1. I bought a set of Rotosound tapewounds and I am really disapointed with them. The low strings have that warbly, out of tune sound that some B strings have (only much worse). The the harmonics sound way out of tune with the fundamental. The behaved the same way on both of my basses. Is this normal for these strings?

I had such high hopes. :(

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

I had some extra moolah a while back and
    figured I'd get a spare set of everything :p.

I use RS88-LD's and RS88-EL's on a couple basses.

I slapped `em on and blech :spit: -- they blew major chunks :(

I dunno what's goin' on with the QC at R/S but dang!
    It wasn't always like this.

Oh well. Back to a bass with T/I Flats or Rounds :D

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I just sold my Danelectro Longhorn that I had Roto tapes on. It sounded great, but only if you like kind of a thuddy, tubby sound. Seriously. Kind of like an upright. So maybe you got a bad set like notduane said.

4. I like that thuddy sound. I've been trying all sorts of flatwound and tapewound strings lately. The intonation thing is what makes the Rotos unusable for me.

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I think it must be a Rotosound thing. I've used LaBella tapes for years with none of the problems mentioned above.

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Have you tried D'Addario Chromes yet cjazz? They are high tension, so not quite as fast palying as TI's, but the B string is excetionally tight and usable, even on some lower end basses. I have found them to have very consistent intonation on my fretless alogn with a clean, thick thud. $45 a set (if your lucky), but definately worth a try. I don't use anythign but D'Addario for strings anymore..

7. I had LaBella tapewounds for a while, and really liked them so I tried the Rotosounds, thinking that they would be similar. I couldn't have been more wrong. Your description of the out of tune harmonics is exactly what I experienced. It was almost as if the strings weren't in tune with themselves. I'd play a string, and hear more than one pitch. Anyway, I took them off my bass very soon after I put them on. I recomend trying the LaBellas. They're much much better.

8. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I use RotoSound Swing Bass RS66LD's on my RIC.
    A couple months back I bought a set on-line from Big City Strings in N.Y.C. When I put them on, I found the D string to be dead.
    After NO help from B.C.S., I contacted RotoSound by e-mail to check on getting a replacement string. They sent me a complete set free.

9. I haven't tried them yet, but I will eventually. I plan on trying just about every flatwound string out there.

So far I've tried:

Thomastik-Infeld
    Fender 9050M
    Fender tapewound
    Labella Jamerson set
    Rotosound tapewound

I'd still like to try:

D'Addario Chromes
    GHS Precision Flats
    GHS Tapewound
    Pyramid Gold flats
    Ernie Ball flats
    Dean Markley flats
    Labella Tapewound

10. How were the Fender tapewounds?

11. I used Fender tapewounds on my acoustic/elec bass and didn't realize how much volume i was sacrificing until switching to bronze. The tapes felt good though and no finger squeaking.

12. I used Fender tapewounds on my acoustic/elec bass and didn't realize how much volume i was sacrificing until switching to bronze. The tapes felt good though and no finger squeaking.