Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RotoSound tru bass 88's questions...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I just put these on my Pedulla buzz. I'm sure a lot of you know, the Pedulla is a very bright sounding bass. So far these strings have taken off the crispy edge but left me with just enough upper end. I am curious as to how they will wear on my fretless. Also, is there any special care needed for nylon strings? I would think not, but I thought it would be good to ask. I searched, but wasn't able to find the specific answers I am looking for.

thanks!

2. YOU DIDNT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE NUT!!!!!!!!

when i slapped these suckers on ym jazz the 115 E string snaped the side of the nut right off. you better watch out.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Nope, fits fine. I'll double check to be sure, but it looked like there was plenty of room.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I do not like them btw. I took them off.

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    They're good for Blues & Jazz. I keep a set around and string them up on my 4001 and use a felt or sponge mute under the bridge for a very convincing upright tone.

Slug

6. Put a set on the USA Jazz Dlx 5 yesterday. Haven't heard them amplified yet, but they do seem to have a lovely feel under the fingers.

Seem to be quite high tension (certainly higher that the Roto 77s I took off cos the rod needed a tweak) but with a less tensioned feel, if you see what I mean.

Be interesting to hear them amplified.

John

7. Well, just returned from the dealer. Went over specifically to try the 88s on an amp.

First inpressions: astonishingly good strings.

Let two of the shop guys have a go. Both very impressed indeed. They look slightly odd being black on the maple, I guess, but I'll get used to that.

The sound is very full at the bottom, plenty of mids and have a lovely "breathy" sound if you turn up the highs then just rub you fingers up and down the strings.

One shop guy way a bit of a slap king (I can't do that to save my life) and he was mightily impressed by the sound of these 88s. It's certainly different from round wounds but great nonetheless. He slapped the B and it sounded like a pistol shot! Brilliant. The B, BTW, is excellent with these 88s.

These strings do have a sort-of upright sound-ish...sort of thing. Difficult to describe but the finger noise gives a sort-of hard plastic sound at the start of each note. Very difficult to describe...

They suit my bass perfectly. Its honestly never sounded better. I think the higher tension suits the neck better as dead spots are all but gone now.

Fantastic. Can't say any better.

John

8. monkeybrainz

monkeybrainz

Apr 28, 2005
  9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

I'm glad you got a good set. I've had a devil of a time getting a set
    here in the states where one or more strings didn't buzz horribly --
    like the tape wrap or whatever was coming loose. I attributed it to
    the (rumored) QC problems at Rotosound. I tried a couple of other
    tapewounds on my Rob Allens with the hope they'd have the same tone
    as the 88's. A Rob Allen bass + Rotosound 88's = almost doghouse (IMO) :bassist:

Status Graphite -- too zingy. Not as much as say, Labella tapes but
    not the same tone as the `88s. "Wyres" -- their site even says
    "flatwound black nylon tape wrap..." . Word is, the 88's are flats with
    a tape wrap, so I was really hopin' the Wyres would be "it". Nope :bawl:

Fortunately, (IME) tapes last a good bit longer than "exposed" wraps,
    so it'll be a while before I have to replace the non-buzzing sets I've kluged
    together for my two RA's. Still, it'd be nice to have a couple spare sets

10. The feel is excellent. As much as anything, it's why I like them so much. Again, can't really describe it... my fingers (stopping hand) slide over the strings real easy: there's none of the "stickiness" often accociated with metal tapewounds (like the Roto Jazz 77s I took off for their 88s).

Plucking hand fingers seem to grip the strings really easily, too.

I think the sound will take some getting used to, though. I'm sure it'll be an aquired taste sort of thing. Again, my comparison in my mind's ear :eek: is against the Jazz 77s. I don't have a bass with round wounds on, for example.

They're certainly worth persevering with, and I'll have to find a really top metal flatwound with high tension but loose-ish feel before I'll remove them.

In my case, this bass is my one and only instrument. It's not as though I've a room full of basses with different strings I can choose from as the notion takes me. No. The whole set-up has to be right first time, strings included.

John

11. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I have been using the 88s for over 10 years. They are excellent strings - they even tamed the MM Stingray fretless 4 string I owned at one time! For my current fretless (a Rob Allen Deep 4), it uses the bottom of the 5 string set, so it's .75 - .135. WHen Rob made my bass, he knew this ahead of time and reinforced the neck :cool:

I used the Labella 760Ns once and they came off. IMHO the 88s are better.

12. I agree about the string tension. I did wonder whether my bass tollerates them so well because of the strengthening in the neck. I presume an unstrengthened neck might distort...no actual experience of that, I just wondered.

At this early stage it does seem to me that a wide range of tones will be available from these strings (have yet to spend the time fiddling with the EQ to find out).

On the quality issue, I must report that the D has some slight roughness on the surface for an inch or so over 12th fret.

Yes. So far so good on Rotosound 88s.

John

13. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Sorry for stirring up the old post but....

... do anyone have a soundclip of a bass with these strings? I'm curious how they sound, and also i don't have the finances for buying a set just for "trying it", since they cost about $95 a pack here in norway!

Thanks alot!
    -Erlend

EDIT: After reading about the supposedly high tension of these strings, and the "strengthened neck talk", would my Ibanez' fretless handle them? I'm worried that it migth warp or something when i try them :meh: .... Sorry for my bad english, i'm norwegian :D

14. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Listen to bassist Graham Maby on Joe Jackson's "Look Sharp" album. It's a P/J Ibanez bass (I think) strung with Rotosound 88's. Very unique and cool sounding tone, of course the great playing by Graham speaks for itself.

Slug

15. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I' don't have' no' 'Joe Jackson albums :D

Any particular song i "need" to hear? I could download it if i got the title.

Thanks!

16. Patchwork Cat

Patchwork Cat

Jun 9, 2005
    According to Roto- The Beatles' Abbey Road and Herbie Flowers on Lou Reed's Transformer. I tried it and yes, you can hear 'that' 88s sound.
    First band I was ever in the Bassist, a really big bloke had a Burns Black Bison with 88s on it. In the 70's it was weird and impressive! :3

17. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> "Sunday Papers" was the big hit from that record.
    Also, "One More Time" "Is She Really Going Out With Him"
    and "Look Sharp" Great songs.

Slug