Rotosound Tru Bass 88's tapewounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassplayin, Mar 11, 2006.

1. bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    I'm considering a set for my '83 57 RI Precision. Does anyone use these monsters?
  2. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Yes, I recently put them on my Epiphone, and now it sounds very much like a double bass (upright). I really like the sound!
  3. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I recently put them on my Hofner and it has never sounded better.

However, for a solid body Fender bass, I personally prefer the La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats.

But for hollow basses, the tru bass strings can't be beat.
  4. Yeah, on my Michael Kelly fretless ABG. They sound good. Beware of the increased string gauge though, I had to adjust (read file out) my nut.
  5. BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Nice strings. IME the "B" and "E" have intonation issues above the 10th fret but it may not matter, depending on your application. (Do a search and you'll see this is indeed a common problem. In my case it was pointed out again by my luthier when doing a fingerboard redress.)

I currently have a set on my fretless and just play around the rough spots.

It's my understanding that the Labella version of this string does not suffer any intonation problems at all.
  6. bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    I went ahead and bought 'em. After reslotting the nut and doing a complete setup I gotta say that I really like these strings.

My '57 P has a very lightweight alder body and combined with a maple neck/fingerboard, the bass has a very lively tone with a little more upper mid accentuation than I was wanting to hear. The tapewounds really tamed things down in the right way by being more low/lowmid heavy with less information present in the upper mids. This balances out the inherent response of the instrument/wood and there's still plenty of punch on tap. Cool! I think I'm keeping these on for a while- after a years worth of playing I bet they'll sound perfect.

I do love the La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats or the Sadowsky flats (also made by La Bella) on my Fender Jazz, and I did try them both on my 57 P but it wasn't the sound I was looking for.

Thanks for your input folks. Talkbass rocks!
  7. caboose1510

Sep 26, 2010
    do you have you modify the nut to fit these on a hofner icon?
  8. hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    +1 I found the same thing, they sound great on my Dano, not so good on my SG. You will have to modify your nut to fit them & fit a new nut if you want to change back to regular strings.
  9. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    The GHS Tapes are a gauge where you won't have to file the nut. The Fenders also aren't too wide.

They are probably the best bet for someone interested in getting into tapes.
  10. bassyRyan

bassyRyan Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    The Roto's are the second best string I have ever played next to TI Jazz's. I had them on my 50's Precision Classic (MIM) and they sounded great. True, about the intonation, as these are pretty heavy gauge, but worth it if a truly old school "upright" tone is what one is after. They are also EXTREMELY different from Fender's version of tapewounds which I found to have a sterile tone and also encountered some grounding issues. Totally different string.
  11. I put a set of GHS tapes on my Ibanez fretless last night, so far I'm very happy with them. I have a set of RotoSounds waiting in the wings, and I'm sure to try the Labellas. I could very well be a tapewound player for a long time.
  12. BigThud

Jun 22, 2015
    I think I'm going to put a set of GHS 3060 Tapes on my new 58 AVRI Fender Precision. That bass has a bright tone (it's still wearing the stock Fender rounds).

Do you think I would have to re-slot the nut (which would be done by a luthier, I don't have files and I prefer not messing up with a 2K bass) ? Fender states the bass comes with 45-65-80-100 rounds and GHS are 50-70-90-105.

I read that tapewounds can generally sit higher on the nut grooves and I guess the nylon wrap would rather deform a little than break a bone nut.

The GHS sound interesting because of the low gauge. Also, the tension sounds like I shouldn't even tweak the truss rod, as D'addarios EXL 45-100 rounds (NPS like the stock Fenders, so the tension should be about the same as D'Ads) are ab. 75 kg (165.4 -ish lbs) and GHS gives the following:
    GDAE : 41 48 44.6 34.2 lbs so 167.8 lbs (76.1 kg for my metric friends).
  13. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Yes. I put them on my medium scale AEB. Big, round thumpy, with a distinctive "bloom" to each note. As above, be careful of the intonation of the E string, especially above the 7th fret. I found it better to tune the E string to the G on the 3rd fret, making sure my nut slots had been adjusted for the larger diameter due to the nylon wrap, and the depth was in the magic zone of being just high enough to avoid buzzing, but low enough that fretted notes did not pull sharp.
  14. BigThud

Jun 22, 2015
    I get your point on the E string intonation, I guess it will be a matter of compromise. I have a Squier Tele Bass with a 2-saddles bridge, like the one on pre-1957 P-Basses, and it's always a compromise between 2 strings...

So, it sounds like I shouldn't have much (at least not the nut) tweaking ahead, except for the intonation.
    Will let you when strings arrive and are installed.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  15. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Split the difference and raise the A string side a little bit to get a little more stretch on that string.