Rotosound Tru Bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sargebaker, May 3, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I was shopping for my fretless bass the other day (which will most likely be the Jaco bass) and i cam across black nylon Rotosound Tru Bass strings. I know they are supposed ot give that jazzy double bass sound but are they really worth 50 bux?!?! Has anyone here played them or just knows anythign about how good they are, their longgevity etc. I play mostly finger style jazz or progressive music but i also play slap.

2. STAY AWAY!!!!

I wouldn't pay $10 for those strings. I put them on my bass once, and they didn't last 24 hours. I had a gig and they just didn't cut through at all. What's more, they produced these weird overtones that made each string sound out of tune with itself. Horrible.

However, I'm a huge fan of the La Bella version of that string. They're really fantastic, and they slap better than most other flat wound strings I've tried.
  3. I seem to remember them costing between 25 and 30 bucks. It's amazing to me that two brands of strings that have the exact same construction can sound so drastically different. They feel different to. I think you'd like the La Bellas.