1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rotosound Trubass 88s

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bkepner, Apr 7, 2015.

1. bkepner

bkepner

Feb 3, 2015
    I've always read about these strings and heard about McCartney using them on Abbey Road plus Im a huge Herbie Flowers fan. I recently bought a set for my 67 Ventura Hollowbody and just could not get them to work. They really seemed to throw off my intonation on the E and A string and no matter how many adjustments I made, they just wouldn't work for me. I had tried to use them in the past on a MIM Jazz Bass and had similar issues on the E string.

Anyone else had issues with these strings?

And..can anyone recommend a similar string? I really liked the upright-like tone and the thumb these things put out.

2. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    I have them on a fretless Jazz bass. I had to significantly adjust the intonation at the bridge in order to get the A string and especially the E string to work, and it might still be very slightly off above the 12th fret mark or so, but it's perfectly usable. (Of course with fretless you can change your playing a bit to compensate for any remaining inaccuracy...)

Some people say that the Labella tapewound strings are very similar. I tried those as well, and found the sound of the 88s noticeably better, though the Labellas were much easier to set up. Worth a try.

3. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    they need "special intonation". for example, on my Precision they were like this: Fender Precision Classic '50

after a couple of days since I take this picture, I had to regulate again the saddles, with the D and E string backward toward the bridge. after that, they stayed intonate, except for a small issue with the E string: on the first five frets, plucking hard meant sharp note, but it's a common thing I've noticed with light tension strings.

the saddle position is an issue only if you can't move the saddle backward anymore.

you even want to set the pickup lower, in order to don't make the string vibrate too much in the magnetic field.

another thing to do is to set a witness point at both bridge and nut (you filed the nut to accomodate the gauge? right?!), gently pressing the string behind and front of the nut, and the same in front of the bridge.