Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rotosound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sippy, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Ok I just took the Fender Flats off my '73 and put Rotosound 66 on there. Do these strings ever dull? It may be because i'm used to the flats but these strings are BUZZING with life (not literally buzzing but u get the idea).. the sustain never dies. and they are so bright and ... chipper.. lol Do they ever dull down a bit? hehe.

2. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    They do dull down a bit after time, but I've used Rotosound 66's for quite awhile now, and if they do get a little too dull, it's nothing you can't fix with a little treble boost on your amp. And despite the slight dulling, I've never lost any harmonic clarity, so if your into that, these are the strings for you.

3. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I've used Rotosound 66's on my '79 Stingray for 25 years now. Just love the sound! I doubt I'll ever switch to a different brand on that bass.

I just put them on the cheap SX fretless I just bought and they sound great on there too, though I'm gonna try some other strings on there soon.

But yes, they will loose their brightness in a month or two depending on how much you play. But a new set gets that sound back again. ;)

4. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea i'm doing a lot of weather report tunes. So I switched to the rotosounds because I was told It's the string most like what Jaco used. my flats sounded more like him! hehe

5. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    I've experenced Rotosound 66 D and G string breaking at the bridge after 6 months. If you keep them clean, they seem to retain a certain amount of harmonic overtones. I tend to boost treble when I hear the overtone starting to fad.

6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Do you want them very bright, or want them to tone down a little?

7. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Jaco used Rotosound Swingbass 66's standard gauge, just like the ones at Guitar Center. I've read that he cut some of the treble, but not much. He also used more bridge pickup than neck pickup, but I guess that doesn't help much with your p-bass.

I use rotosounds, and change them every 2-3 weeks, I feel like they start to lose their zing at that point. Its kind of an expensive habit.

8. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>>> Yuppp.....Luckily I get them direct from the source at reduced prices.... I don't use anything else..

Slug

9. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea thats what I have Rotosound 66 roundwound standard gauge. ($22). Any other tips for giving me the "jaco" sound on a P-bass? if I play closer to the bridge that helps out alot. I just love the way he plays Black market. :)

10. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Heh, yeah play by the bridge. Install a bridge J-pickup (is that possible?) I think the bridge pickup might be the key. Good luck.

11. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    nah this is my '73 and I wanna keep it original.. I'm saving up for a 62' reissue that i'm gonna get fretless. Since I love his sound.

12. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I used mostly Rotosounds for 20+ years. I always liked them most when they got to be about 1-1.5 years old.
    Strange but true..

13. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    How are the rotosounds for slap bass?

14. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I don't play slap bass often, but when I do the tones are always punchy yet thumpy, a good, balanced slap tone. However that could be due to my active bass . . . but I do know that Stanley Clarke uses Rotosounds too.

15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I still love Rotosound rounds, been using them 27 years. Yep, they're certainly brighter than Fender flats! Mine last about a month or so. Slap? They're fantastic for slap.

16. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I tried the Rotosound SS Swing Bass and my fingers still haven't forgiven me. So I tried the Nickel version of the Swing Bass and they sound very similiar but are easier on the fingers and frets, and seem to last a little longer too. At about $15 a set they're very nice and they're all I use now besides the bass I use flats on.

17. Everyone tells me very good things about the rotosounds, i never try it...

Probably the next one i will buy, they are cheap. I usually buy Ernie Ball Slinkys but they are a little expensive for the regular changing.

18. RhythmBassist01

RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    I like to sound of well used rotosounds. I have a set of old roto's that I use sometimes. It's a nice contrast to new strings, which I quite like.

19. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Don't know if you're willing to hack apart either bass, but Tony Franklin (The Firm, Blue Murder) has a bridge J pickup on his P bass, and he gets about as close to Jaco in sound as anybody does. Something to try if you feel like it.

20. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    the RB series are really cheap i buy them at 14$ a set.
    but they have high tension so it will take your bass some time and a good setup to get used to them...but at the end u will get harmonics that will last for hours.