Rotosounds and fretwear??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by iceblinko, Oct 25, 2004.

1. iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    hey all. recently i wanted to switch from my Fender Super Bass 8250 strings (with the tapered E 110) to Rotosounds on my American Standard Fender P. i love the way the fender strings sound but HATE that the string is a 110 gauge.

anyways.. someone told me to check out Rotosounds. With all the searching i was doing i learned that some of my favorite bassists play them (with a fender too!)... roger waters, adam clayton, geddy, john paul jones.. i think even nate mendell.

however, i have been hearing bad things about these strings as well. do they really cause all this "fretwear"? and if so, how much? the dead string situation that others are talking about on this forum is a turn off as well.

i'd just like some opinions on my above concerns. and also.. what do they sound and "feel" like on a fender p bass? anyways.. i gotta run. hope to hear from someone!

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I've had Rotosounds chew up my frets fast.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    All stainless steel strings are rougher on frets than nickel rounds. I have a heavy playing style with lots of bending and so far, I haven't needed a refret in almost four years playing steel strings.

Yeah, they are rough on frets, they're bright and punchy with growl on a Precision, and I love them. Feel is pretty normal, maybe a little stiffer.