Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Jan 5, 2002.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    I heard somewhere that rotosounds really cut up the frets, is that true?
  2. Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    Yeah, they are quite harsh. They are raw stainless steel wire that is harder than your average fret material. I have strange little grooves on my frets. I used to string my Stingray with 40-100's. The first few rehearsals with them were great. Then they start to dull really quickly. I have now switched to Elite nickelplated 40-100's. Not quite as bright, but they do keep their tone for alot longer.
  3. Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    I got a set of the Rotosound Tru Bass strings thinking that the'd be good. I usually usally use La Bellas which are also black nylon, so I thought I'd try something to compare them to. Let me tell you they were the worst pieces of junk I've ever put on my bass. I noticed how bad they were when I played a gig and couldn't hear myself. No matter how much I turned up they just didn't cut through. The guys I was playing with noticed how bad my bass sounded too. They were muddy, I couldn't stand the way they felt (huge and really glossy and artificial feeling), but the worst part of all was this weird overtone that I would hear. You know the beating sound you hear when two strings aren't in tune. That's sort of like what I was hearing out of these strings, only it happened when I was playing just one string at a time! I don't know if any of you has experienced that before, but its annoying and un-fixable. That's been my only experience with Rotosounds, and I don't think I'll be buying any more of their stings for quite a while.
  4. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i used to buy rotosounds from my studio guy, and they are good strings dependoing on what you play, stylewise and bass wise. i play a Carlo Robelli 4 string, and play rock, funk, and some blues. thewy sound great and have great tone. they also give my bass great presence. the only down side i had was that they tore up my fingers.