1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rots getting old

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SBassman, Apr 30, 2006.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    It's no fun getting old. The tear down from last night's gig
    seemed to hurt more.

Depending on the club, we end between 1:30 and 2:15, then schmooze a little with the owners, then tear down.

It's getting harder for me. :crying: :)

I need a 15 minute tear down. Not a 60 minute tear down.

Being completely out shape is not helping me.

My advice to you all - don't get old. Stay 25 for the rest of your life.

;)

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Well, that really sucks, getting so old that tear down is a drag because by this time in life we were supposed to be rich and famous enough to hire roadies.

poop.

I'll bet Daryl didn't tear down after the Super Bowl.

3. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Heh, at 39 i'm the youngest person in the band. Guitarist and drummer are 50+.

That said, we have tearing down and loading out down to a science. We can be done in 45 minutes, 30 if we do not have to use our lights or subs.

It was fun last week driving home going by the other clubs and waving to the bands that were still loading out, especially funny (to us) was the band that was still loading out at 3am from a club that has a house PA and lights. We would be out of there in 20 minutes..lol

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Wait a minute- the teardown/loadout is why I became a musician in the first place! Sucks having to play, but that loadout sure is fun!! The glory! The glamour! ;)

Seriously, though, checkout the latest trends in both business and musical gear- DOWNSIZING! There is so much gear now that is smaller, lightweight, and powerful. I used to drag a bunch of gear to every gig, now I grab my 1210, a head, a bass or two, my cord bag, and I'm off to the gig. Setup generally takes me 5 minutes or less, and teardown is about the same, if I'm not schmoozing. If my girlfriend helps, it's less.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Amen. I understand loud and clear. Unfortunately, not everyone else involved understands.

There are still some people out there thinking - bigger is better.

6. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Oh yea. I got that. Bass in a gig bag. Hartke 2x10 Eden 330 and a backpack of sudries.

Still, I wouldn't say no to a roadie.

7. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001

Yep, getting old ain't for kid's. :D

8. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    If you really want a 15 minute tear down go with a bose pas, cause that's exactly how long it takes me to get mine from my house to my garage and set up. Also, won't hurt your back and sounds better than a pa. Course you'd probably have to talke the rest of your band into one of thier own, unless your a trio like my band where we can get away with one.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm jealous. :)

If it were My decision, and if the corresponding funds were there, that's Exactly what I would do.