Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rotsound Swing Bass substitute?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I just tried some Roto 66's on my five, and they sound really good. However, they die pretty fast, the B is almost dead after less than two weeks. I'd like to find something that sounds similar that would last a month or two anyway. The combination of thump, punch and brightness of these strings is what I'm looking for.

2. Maybe you could try out a set of Elites. Punchy but not overly bright. Very stiff string though. It's so many years since I've played rotosounds so I can't compare.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Actually, I had forgotten about Elites. Probably because they seem to be impossible to find here in the USA. I had one set and thought they were good, but I haven't been able to find them since.

4. How do they sound compared to Rotosounds? I've been wanting to try out a set again, but wont do it if they're too close to Elites. If we were neighbours you could have my set of Elites. Used it once - took'em off.