Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rouge Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by asimon, Dec 20, 2000.

1. asimon

asimon

Dec 20, 2000
    Are these basses any good enquiring minds want to know? Please justify comments with performance commentary(i.e. it sucks/ it's good because...). Thanx!

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Going by some of the specs. they aren't good. If you want a inexpensive bass go for a Squier or MIM they can be had from $200-350 depending on model & color. Rogue i think is just like a generic catch all brand that is used by various companies in Strings, guitars & amps. I know Martin, Gibson, Fender/Squier use it as a super cheap strat model thing. I don't wanna own one though. Thats all

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Rogue basses are made to look good rather than play or sound good. If you have under $200 to spend, get a Squier P-bass, if you have under $300, get a Mexican Fender P or J bass.

4. ETHYL

ETHYL

Dec 19, 2000
    See the BEATLE BASS thread for more on Rogue.
    Sincerely,
    ETHYL

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very nice looking basses, for the price.

Unfortunately, it pretty much ends there.

They look nice.

6. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i dont think the color of a bass has anything to do with its quality or sound;)

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Red ones sound better.;)

8. uh yeah i bought a $150 rogue bass when i was 13
    the plastic nut broke so i exchanged it for another of the exact same kind and the same thing happened two days after i got it

its a piece of **** to put it bluntly

pretty shade of blue though........

9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Pierce AND Embellisher....way to go! I was going to edit this thread when I first saw it, but KNEW that someone, besides me, would make the color comment.
    It's sad...the way us moderators amuse ourselves....:)

Just a further note about the ROGUE violin bass. I don't know about the sound, but it has been rated as the #1 most faithful copy of the Hofner.
    Maybe that says more about the Hofner...than about the Rogue...:)

10. asimon

asimon

Dec 20, 2000
    Thank you all for the opinions. I'll definitly avoid Rouges.
    Thank you again.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Why not think about "used," I mean, "pre-owned." There are seemingly good Ibanez's, Tursers, Squiers, et al, on EBay right now for $200 and less. Many times the cosmetics, as well as the guts, are fine. Occasionally, the seller is just trading up, saw a VH1 video and thought they'd be cool playing bass but then found out it takes work, or, they figured it was a good way to meet women.