1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rough Estimate - P-pickup routing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tom0Blam0, Feb 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    I finally got a hold of my dream bass (at least one of them). It is a fender urge bass, but this is the MIM version, 32" scale 24-fret. Perfect for me. BUT, electronics-wise I'm looking to add the p-pickup found in the MIA version, right between the j-pups.

Now, I have some experience with modding an instrument, but I am still not 100% confident in my skills and I'm not interested in routing this myself and ruining the body so I'm just curious, roughly how much would a luthier charge for a p-pup route? It'd be especially great if someone on here was interested in taking on the job, but not necessary, I just wanted to know what kind of damage I was looking at before I seriously inquire. I'm thinking of going all passive for this bass, so I will likely put an EMG GZR pup in the p-position. Thanks in advance!

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Not much. Assuming that you disassembled the bass and shipped just the body, it would be less than an hours' work for most Luthiers. So, about $40 plus shipping. I'm not interested in the job myself (too busy), but I can recommend my buddy Keith Horne. He can be reached at: keithhorne1@gmail.com and 213-400-6702

GKon likes this.
  3. Tom0Blam0

Mar 16, 2014
    Thanks for the response and the recommendation. I'll shoot Keith an email shortly. Cheer!

4. Tom0Blam0

Mar 16, 2014
    I shot Keith an email but haven't heard back - I assume he is busy.

I asked a local guy how much it would be to do the route plus drilling for a side jack and he quoted me at $150...should I look elsewhere?

5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Keith mentioned that he got your e-mail, and said that he could do it. I guess that he hasn't gotten around to answering you yet.

If your local guy quoted you $150, it probably means that he doesn't already have the routing template. Or maybe saw some other problem with the job. Doing the edge drilling for a jack can be tricky if you don't have the right setup. We usually do that in a fixture in one of my giant antique drill presses.