Rough fret ends on Lakland

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jefft54, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Has anyone experienced this on their lakland. I have a 55-01 I recently aquired. Everthing on it is near perfect BUT the fret ends are very rough. Rough enough to scrape my hands sliding up and down the neck over a period of time. I've heard that you can get some neck shrinkage but this seems way beyond. I had heard nothing but good about lakland. What do you think?
  2. Slapped

Jan 23, 2006
    Queens, New York
    You probably got a lemon. Send it to the shop to get the frets leveled.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    fret ends come out sometimes... humid to dry changes can cause it.
  4. Maybe. The fret tops are fine and smooth, its only along the fret sides running along the neck.
  5. Thats kinda what I'm thinking. The bass came out of the cold east to warm California, although I've had several other guitars and never ran into this.
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Call Dan directly.

7. You think so?
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

jefft54: is it a maple board? that seems to be more common for this to happen to.
  9. It is! Although this is the third maple, never had a problem with the other 2.
    Shnapper, the frets are rough on all frets on both sides of the neck. I don't think anyone did anything, everything is stock. I think I just got a lemon. I'll email Dan and call the shop I bought it from. Guess this is not a common problem.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont see how a lemon is relevent. There is nothing else wrong with the bass, correct?

How do you fancy they made the bass? Put the frets on, and shipped em out like that? They are inspected before being sent out, i believe.

I dont think its a lemon, i think the fingerboard shrunk a little bit and the fret ends are sticking out a little. It happens sometimes. The fact that they are rough on all frets, on both sides, gives this away. Do you think they just happen to mess up every single fret? Doesnt make sense to me.
  11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Calling the bass a "lemon" because of some fret ends sticking out is a bit extreme. This happens fairly often, fingerboards shrink, some more than others (we find that ebony is the WORST offender).

It is a simple fix, and I'm sure that the guys at Lakland will be happy to take care of it quickly, based on my experience with them (we do the same when it happens with ours). The Lakland guys are the sin qua non for CS, if it's wrong, they'll make it right.
  12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Have someone local fix it for you. Big deal. Happens all the time. Its much more common than you realize. A nice instrument needs to be maintained just like anything else

13. Guys, take it easy. I love the bass (except for the fret problem). I'm not dishing Lakland, I just wondered if this was a common problem, sheesh!
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No problem. Gard re-stated what i did. He just said it better, so refer to his post for instruction.

I just think Lemon is thrown around a bit much.
  15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    It happens all the time. Climate change.. wood shrinks a little - i have seen it on a $4000 bass and then it may not happen on a $400 bass. it's not a big deal and a local guy can file it down for probably less than you would spend sending it to Lakland.
  16. I just emailed Lakland with the problem, so I'll see what they say. I suspect it would be cheaper to take it to my local shop. Maybe Lakland will foot the bill, I'll wait for their answer.
  17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    +1 Call your local luthier.
  18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    No. Wood is wood is wood. Changes in climate, humidity, temperature, etc will cause wood to shrink/expand. I've seen this on every bass with a wooden neck. You need to get the fret ends filed.
  19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Slapped called the bass a lemon on a public Internet forem because of fret ends. IME, some people read statemnets online and think it's 100% the truth.
  20. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I noticed a Lakland with some pretty rough ends at a local shop. They were sticking way out... easily enough to cut you if you were moving your hand fast enough. I told the store owner, and he contacted Lakland. Seemed like they were prepared to do whatever it takes to make it right. I'm sure they'll take care of you.