Round Midnight charts?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Tom Lane, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

I got out my chart of Round Midnight a couple of days ago, and I remember transcribing Monk's and Miles' version, at least, and I think some others, but I did it a few years ago and didn't keep my work, just the result. Now, I'm not sure I like the final chart I worked out, so I'm curious what changes you like. Here's my chart. Show me yours?

upload_2020-10-7_12-11-6.png

james condino and longfinger like this.
  2. Neon Scribe

Neon Scribe Supporting Member

Here's mine. A vocal chart, with chords based on the Thelonius Monk Fake Book, transcribed from the 1947 recording on the 1951 Genius of Modern Music LP. Written in Eb major, to save precious flats, even though it's really a minor tune.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2020
  3. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Nice! Thanks for posting! Pretty similar to mine, but I do like the chromatic line in the bridge. A VERY clear chart!

4. Neon Scribe

Thanks for that. I credit LilyPond for the beautiful typesetting. It also allows me to easily create transposed charts and in this case generate a major or a minor key chart from the same source.

longfinger and Tom Lane like this.
  5. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

"Thelonious" is misspelled in the composer credit on your chart.

6. Neon Scribe

Oh no! I've been misspelling his name for my entire life.

Round Midnight.png

Keyser Soze and Tom Lane like this.
  7. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

Great job promptly rectifying your error. I'll bet you'll spell it correctly every time from now on, eh? ;)

Thanks for sharing the chart. Much apperciated!

8. Neon Scribe

No regerts!

DrCannabass, J_Bass and Keyser Soze like this.
  9. donfede

donfede Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Bethesda, MD
    Pardon for reviving a sleeping thread, but it's exciting to find other Lilypond users out there.

@Neon Scribe might you add the Lilypond source used in this thread? That would allow others to learn from it, or generate their own PDF or MIDI from it.

10. Neon Scribe

I'd be happy to share my LilyPond source code with anyone who cares to use it. It doesn't seem right to dump it all in this thread, though. It works well for my needs, but it isn't up to my professional standards of code organization. I started a GitHub repository a little while ago. Let me put a little work into it and see if I can make it usable by others.

donfede likes this.
  11. Neon Scribe

All right, I put some code in GitHub. It's at GitHub - neonscribe/lilypond-hacks: Snippets of LilyPond code. It isn't the most beautiful source code I've ever written, but the output is nice. I like to use the "english.ly" note names. I find it easier to write and read that way. I've committed to the Roemer-Brandt standardized chord symbol notation, similar to the Sher New Real books. I modified and added to the "jazz-chords.ily" file I found in the lilypond-user mailing list archive. My understanding of LilyPond is spotty at best, but I've managed to bend it to my will with a combination of copying other people's code, trial and error, and some amount of Scheme code that I wrote myself.

The .ly files that *do not* have the word "Core" in the name can be processed directly with LilyPond. I just tried them with 2.22 and they seem to work. Feel free to DM me with questions.

donfede likes this.