1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'Round Midnight chord changes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by hibbs, Aug 19, 2007.

1. hibbs

hibbs

Aug 14, 2005
    Cambridge, ON
    Hello,
    I may be noob-knighted for this one but it would be well worth it for this song.

I recently borrowed a copy of one of the Real Books and have had some trouble following the chord changes in 'Round Midnight.

I know all the chords but seem to lose it after the first time through it all. Are there any tell tale signs of when the music and changes begin repeating themselves or will I just have to ear it out?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Can you play the melody in yer sleep in at least two keys? That helps me a lot on tunes I have trouble memorizing the changes to.

3. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    there are multiple sets of changes for this tune. if you really want to learn it, check out the monk version(s) and then the Wes Montgomery verion(s.) do the hard work, and people will love you more. can't tell you how many times i have earned another gig by knowing the intro/arrangement/changes off the album...

the real book= the wrong book!!!!!!!!!:mad:

4. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY
    Even if you know the song, it's not an easy one to play on bass, esp for a noob. -- been there, in fact still there.

It's an object lessson in "fewer notes is good", and they gotta be good notes or they just get in the way. Go to the library and check out a couple recordings to get some ideas.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.

Ummm, it's a 32 bar tune (not including the intro and outro) right? So it "repeats" after 32 bars.

But you gotta hear form...

6. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    The 6th Edition changes are a lot better than any of the illegal ones. But you're right, it still doesn't have any of the intro/arrangement stuff that normally go with the tune.

7. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    If you are getting lost, then think/sing the melody as you walk.
    If you won't learn the head, the you gotta spend a long long time memorizing the changes. To make it easier, break it all down into key centers and though you may miss a change or two, your ear should hear that new key center.

If you can't play the melody, or be able to sing it then you're hurting yourself in many ways.

1. Getting lost
    2. Not having that melodic resource to pull from in the middle of your bass solo.
    3. Other players will think your not hungry since you don't know the head of Round Midnight!