Round the neck Vs. ZZTop counter clockwise spin

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Round the neck.

7 vote(s)
  2. ZZTop counter-clockwise spin.

7 vote(s)
  3. I want some pudding!

2 vote(s)
  1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Alright, which do you find more flashy? Throwing your bass upward and having it land back in the correct position you had it or spinning your bass counter-clockwise as if it was attached to your belt?

I myself find the ZZTop approach cooler and funnier. :D
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The ZZTop aproach is too corny and stupid looking IMO.

Round the neck, is totally cool!

3. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    around the neck a la Victor Wooten. Also his toss at the audience is pretty cool too.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The ZZ spin requires special hardware, therefore making it obviously pre-planned and losing all sense of spontanious showmanship.

The strap-around-the back is equally rediculous, but at least can offer a false sense of compulsive behavior.

I voted for strap-around.
  5. Hrm, I don't like either option there. Can we get some carrots in here?
  6. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Yeahh...who are these clowns who are trying to entertain us??? None of those flippy floppy hijinks for me, sir. Bass to the chest, good posture, and none of that attitude!!!!

I also like my sex strictly missionary position, my corn on the cob unsalted and wear only shades of beige.:rolleyes:
  7. I'mn in agreement with Da5id Hex, the flashy showmanship and slinging you bass / guitar around your neck is so 80's. I've always thought it was kinda pointless and lame.

It's only cool when it's messed up and the guitarist gets a black eye.
  8. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001

Be funny if the tuning pegs get tangles in the poor mans beard mid-spin.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    everytime i've ever seen anybody pull any non-musical stunt with their instrument, regardless of who, i thought they looked like a dufus. i remember seeing queensryche open for metallica back in '89 i guess it was. eddie jackson would fret over the top of the board. wowee. :rolleyes: and all of vics olympic-style floor exercises look equally retarded, imo.

i'm a big fan of gymnastics and martial arts, but if a gymnast started playing bass while they were on the parallel bars, i'd think they were retarded too.

always seemed to me that the silly physical antics of the stage performers were compensating for some lack of substance in their performance - the performers who've impressed me the most were always the ones who didn't have to resort to circus sideshow antics.
  10. 'Round the neck I suppose. Doesn't matter, prolly won't ever do it.
  11. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Who's the moderator who added in that 3rd option? I gotta hug ya!
  12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

There was no pudding option when I voted!

I want pudding!!!

Unless, of course, it's butterscotch. I don't really care for butterscotch.
  13. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    as long as it's jam roly-poly I all for pud

I'll take a point JT made and let's see if we can start a semi-serious discussion.

When I play the only thing I want moving is my fingers but, if people pay good money to see a show then shouldn't they have one?

As a punter I dont want to see laser and rocket guitars, flying poodle-permers and the like but I also dont want to see a bunch of people dressed like they walked off the street gazing at their shoes/instruments all night.

Where is the line drawn? (and it may vary for genres).
  14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I voted pudding as there were no carrots on the table.

Throwing the bass around is un-cool. :cool:
  15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Word. I think the descriptive "dufus", while extremely politically incorrect, is entirely musically correct. This notion that musicians are somehow supposed to be not only musicians but also actors is seriously diluting the musical gene pool and creating a genre of weak multimedia crap in which both the music and the visuals are mediocre AT BEST.
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Who, me?:p
  17. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    If your playing is that bad that you need some stage trick to get the crowd to like you, then theres a problem.

Victor can get away with it because he's a seasoned veteran and a great slap bassist. Some 17 year old kid I see at a club gig will get tomatoes thrown at him courtesy a la mua.:mad:

Anyways, I'm down with the J-E-L-L-O. If it keeps Bill Cosby alive, I'm down with it. :D
  18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sure, a _musical_ show. don't get me wrong, i'm all for intricate stage show, multimedia/projection stuff, and all that rot, but have it something to do with the music, the song in question.

you pay money at a professional sporting event to be entertained, right? so how come everyone on your favorite team doesn't come out in drag, or shouting out shakespeare?

i think the tossing-of-the-instrument crap is disrespectful to the instrument and also focuses more on the performer and less on the music and the performance.

i don't know why, but i find that i have very strong opinions about this. how strange.
  19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

That's not really an uncommon view. A lot of fellow musicians feel that way about their gear, especially bass/guitar/saxaphone etc. (the thing you hold and play, rather than your amp!)
  20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, that's true. i've been (falsely) accused of that before on more than one occasion because of how much time, effort and money i spend on my basses.