Round wound or.......

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Brother Mark, May 18, 2017.

1. Brother Mark

Brother Mark

Dec 10, 2016
    Hi I currentky play an Ibenez sr500 bass wtih round wound strings. I like the feel and thump sound that they give but would like to get a bit more volume and mid-range. I have considered switching to half-round or even 3/4 round. Would the change make much of a difference? I can't afford to buy a bunch of different strings so I would like some opinions before I start spending money. BTW my current strings are GSW medium flat wounds. I play mostly jazz, bluegrass, gospel, and modern christian genres

2. I would recommend the GHS Pressurewound ML7200 (44-58-80-102). Punchy mids with some nice crunch up top with no zing.

Alloy 52 used for the wrap wire is magnetically more active than either Stainless Steel or Nickel-plated Steel, making them dynamically responsive with higher-than-average output.

GHS ML7200 Pressurewound Electric Bass Strings 44-102 Medium Light

fretlessguy, BigBenH18 and Linnin like this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^Excellent Recommendation! I Concur.^^^

michael_t likes this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Wait...are your current strings round wound or flat wound? You said they are both.

5. Brother Mark

Brother Mark

Dec 10, 2016
    oops yeah I screwed that up! They are flat wound. thanks for catching my error

6. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Try D'Adarrio XL170. $16 by most retailers.

7. Yup, me too. :thumbsup:

Linnin likes this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah you'd probably like the Pressurewounds then!

9. I love GHS Pressure Wounds. I also recommend the .102 set. Got them on three of my basses. They are long lasting as well.

Linnin likes this.
  10. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    The least expensive option might be to keep playing the flats you have, *if* they haven't "settled" as yet (which can take quite some time), you could go through the same process with new strings, in effect setting you back from where you want to be.
    And meanwhile, perhaps the EQ can get you in the ballpark.

11. DR SILVER STAR Round Wounds on my ESP LTD B5e 5

TIJazz Flats on Fender Standard Jazz with Aguiar AG 4J HC noiseless

Labella 720 Flats on my Fender FSR Standard Jazz with Aero JB4 pickups

12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yes, they do last a long time and sound good while they are doing it too. Once the growl begins to back off with age, the solid low mid punch gets better. My set lasted a year before I needed to move on to test a set of GHS Roundcore Bass Boomers.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021