Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

round wounds on a fretless?!?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tww001, Feb 23, 2004.

1. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    I posted an inquiry about finding lower tension flatwounds for my fretless body-thru jazz bass. I was talking with my teacher in my lesson today, and he suggested that I use Ernie Balls. "NO! That'll tear up my finger board" I said, to which he replied "What's more important, sound or money? You can get your fingerboard replaced."

My query is this: How long can a fretless finger board (a rosewood one) last with roundwounds on it? :confused: I play a minimum 2 hours a day, everyday. It seems to me that the fingerboard would get messed up pretty quick. Jaco admitted that, he said he never practiced on his fretless, he only used it for performance, and had a fretted to practice on.

2. I have rounds on my self-fretlessed Squier and I don't see much wear. Just some faint lines left by the coils. Mind you, I just put tung oil on it, and I don't think it's well protected. Yours is probably finished a little better.

By the way, where did you get an American Deluxe fretless? They don't seem to make em anymore.

3. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    They don't make the Fender American deluxe fretless anymore. I got the last one in stock at Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in Wheaton, MD the first week of January this year.