"Rounding" neck edges??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Razor, May 10, 2003.

1. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Ok everyone....bear with me. I am going to try and explain this as best as I can.

My personal fav bass is the 78 Fender P I started on years ago. It's a fat/thick P neck but over years and years of playing the ends...or edges (top and bottom of each fret) have become more rounded and it actually feels somewhere between a P and a J neck. (Have I lost everyone??) :p

Problem is...every P neck I have aside from this one the edge of the fingerboard (top and bottom side of each fret) feels sharp and sometimes painful when I bite down. I feel like it's because I got used to the 78's weathered/rounded edges.

My question is: Would I have to defret the board to sand the top and bottom edges flat or just use some kind of sanding tool to do this and then slowly use a fret file to file down the fret ends as I round off the wood at the edges?

I appologize for really making this difficult to understand. I'm just kinda at a loss as to what to do. I had originally thought a radius block would do it but those are used for frets and such and not the corners. :bassist:
  2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I know exactly what you mean. My B.C. Rich (snickers aside) has a really comfortable neck. Has that round feel you're describing. It's hard to go back to other basses after playing that.

I can't really help you, but, just to clarify, do you want to "weather" your other basses, or make the '78 feel like the others? Maybe this'll help a luthier help you. Or maybe I'm the only idiot who doesn't already know. ;) Good luck!
  3. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Praise the Lord somebody understands me for once!!!! :eek: :D :eek:

I'd like to have all of these "new" P's weathered like my good ole' 78.
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Fender's American and American Deluxe P's and J's feature "rolled fingerboard edges," which I believe are supposed to approximate a worn instrument. You might check them out, if you haven't already.
  5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Q: Can you grind down the edges to a nice radius, with out defretting?
    A: Yes.
    You can make a sanding block, with a nice radius - it will be rather short:meh:
    You can and across the board, with no other guidance than your feel - needs patience, and a high# paper...
    You can use a file to form the radius and only sand for finish - that's what I'd do (I use files a lot). And then you'd be trimmed in for filing, when you get to dressing the frets:)