"Rounding" neck edges??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Razor, May 10, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Ok everyone....bear with me. I am going to try and explain this as best as I can.

My personal fav bass is the 78 Fender P I started on years ago. It's a fat/thick P neck but over years and years of playing the ends...or edges (top and bottom of each fret) have become more rounded and it actually feels somewhere between a P and a J neck. (Have I lost everyone??) :p

Problem is...every P neck I have aside from this one the edge of the fingerboard (top and bottom side of each fret) feels sharp and sometimes painful when I bite down. I feel like it's because I got used to the 78's weathered/rounded edges.

My question is: Would I have to defret the board to sand the top and bottom edges flat or just use some kind of sanding tool to do this and then slowly use a fret file to file down the fret ends as I round off the wood at the edges?

I appologize for really making this difficult to understand. I'm just kinda at a loss as to what to do. I had originally thought a radius block would do it but those are used for frets and such and not the corners. :bassist:

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I know exactly what you mean. My B.C. Rich (snickers aside) has a really comfortable neck. Has that round feel you're describing. It's hard to go back to other basses after playing that.

I can't really help you, but, just to clarify, do you want to "weather" your other basses, or make the '78 feel like the others? Maybe this'll help a luthier help you. Or maybe I'm the only idiot who doesn't already know. ;) Good luck!

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Praise the Lord somebody understands me for once!!!! :eek: :D :eek:

I'd like to have all of these "new" P's weathered like my good ole' 78.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Fender's American and American Deluxe P's and J's feature "rolled fingerboard edges," which I believe are supposed to approximate a worn instrument. You might check them out, if you haven't already.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Q: Can you grind down the edges to a nice radius, with out defretting?
    A: Yes.
    You can make a sanding block, with a nice radius - it will be rather short:meh:
    You can and across the board, with no other guidance than your feel - needs patience, and a high# paper...
    You can use a file to form the radius and only sand for finish - that's what I'd do (I use files a lot). And then you'd be trimmed in for filing, when you get to dressing the frets:)