Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rounds for midrange

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sprudellio, May 18, 2005.

1. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    So here's the deal:

Can some suggest me rounds that have normal/average bass, strong midrange and weaker/tamed/smooth highs?
    They'll end up on my Geddy Lee sig.
    Right now I'm using Rotosounds and I'd be happy if they had a little less zing.

Thanks in advance!

2. I found DR sunbeams to be like that. Maybe too smooth for a really strong midrange. Sounded a little boxy to me. My beloved Blue Steels have good midrange but 'unfortunately' they also have very good bass and treble ;)

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You might try D'Addario XLs or Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys. Both are nickel wounds.

4. Lakland SS Roundwounds are the most 'mid heavy' roundwounds that I've heard. They are relatively inexpensive also. You can buy direct from the Lakland website. Check them out.

5. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I've been using DR Fat-Beams and they have nice highs..Sometimes a little too much at times, though. I just got a set of Sunbeams, but haven't tried them yet. They sound a little mellower on my Stingray, so we'll see how the Geddy sounds.

The Fat Beams do have a nice midrange to them, though. And they last a LONG time. Big plus for us acidic fingers guys.

6. Yeah, forgot about the Fatbeams. They're good for midrange.