Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rounds for Musicmaster (shortscale)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by byrdsfan, Aug 4, 2004.

1. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I have flats on my Musicmaster and can't stand them. i dont know what brand they are, they were put on when it was beign refurbished in a shop (i asked for flats, not having experience with them).
    Well flat vs. round debate aside, what's a good round shortscale string for this bass? i dont know about gauges, so just just whatever you like and please try to be specific about the type and where to get them.
    ive just ordered a seymour duncan for this bass so im eager to get this upgrade in gear!
    Thanks a lot!

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, Fender makes a set, 5250's I think. Also, D'Addario XL's are available in short scale, and are pretty decent strings. You should be able to get either from www.juststrings.com.

3. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Ok, i ordered the Fenders. MF had them and the price was right. Thanks!

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I guess it is too late, but for rounds I really liked GHS Bass boomers Short Scale .050 to .107.

Currently I have the Musicmaster strung with D'Addario Chromes in standard scale. Note that my Musicmaster is the reissue with string through body.

5. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    The Fenders were only $15, Im open to discussion. Does the heavier string help get a fuller sound?

6. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I feel that the thicker strings, and especially the E, makes a big difference on the short scale bass. Yes, I would say fuller and more even from string to string. However, I have never tried the Fenders.

Both the Fender and the GHS are nickel plated. So if you have never used nickel plated strings, I would try the Fender and make sure you like the nickel first.

7. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I have a Precision with stock Fender roundwounds. Would they be nickel?

8. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It depends on the model. If it is a current bass, check the Fender web site. Under specifications for the bass they always list the stock strings.