1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rounds for Stingray fingerstyle (now w/ clip)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by resol, Dec 28, 2006.

1. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    have been using TI Jazz Flats for a year followed by about 2 months of TI Jazz Rounds. TI flast were great, but missed the rounds bite. the Jazz Rounds have nice tone, but i'm hating their low tension. i'm now thinking about going back to REAL rounds - tossing up between DR Lo-riders and Hi-Beams (probably the SS versions), Black Beauties or Elixirs, or anything else that suits fingerstyle on stingrays. i've never used theses sets before.

from doing some research it appears that the SS DR's are great on stingrays, but i'm not sure if that's for fingerstyle or slap...

i sweat a lot so coated would be nice. oh yeah - and i play praise+worship and pop rock covers.

what do you guys think?

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I like High Beams on my Fender 51P bass Reissue.
    Rounds will produce alot of growl from the Sting Ray so if you want to reduce the growl then suggest Low Riders maybe.

3. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    Do you not like the EB Slinkys? I tried a few different types of strings on my Stingray and came back to the Slinkys.

4. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I've had good luck with DR Sunbeams if you're looking for some more nickel sounding strings for you MM tone.

5. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

they make the bass growl too

6. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I use DR Fat Beams (marcus Miller signatures) on my Ray5. A small change in right hand technique is all it takes to ditch that growl if it's not called for.

45-65-85-105-130 SS wrap on round core. I like some tension too. I tried Elixirs and hated them - no low end compared to DR. Strange feel that I could've adjusted to, but I was fighting the tone to no avail.

I play almost exclusively fingerstyle and the DR last a long time for me and have exceptional tonal range. I play TIFs on my G&L SB-1, btw...

7. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    slinkies were ok, but after using them exclusively for about 2 years and not really being thrilled with the tone, i was thinking maybe try something different - and i've heard on these forums many great things about DR's...

i'm now thinking either DR Fat Beam Marcus Miller Sig's (thank you Ben Clarke :)) or Lo-riders...

8. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    With the plucking hand so far back over the pickup, I like a flexible string on EBMMs for fingerstyle. Hi beams are great, so are slinkys.

9. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    +1 :bassist:

They were hard to find over here, but I like the Sunbeams best too. They're similar to the standard EB Slinkies, only a little "rounder" and more consistent accross the 4 strings (IMHO).

For finger-style, I always choose nickel over SS. They feel noticeably smoother too, as well as sounding it.

SS are nice for a really bright "pluck", when you're slapping though! :meh:

The black Ray in my Avatar has a graphite neck and only sounds right with SS strings, but I put nickel strings on the others.

10. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    EB Super Slinkys are my choice.

11. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I just put a set of Blue Steel mediums (50-128) on my SR5 and they are a huge improvement to my ears over the Slinkies.

Tons of growl, good balance and nice feel. I have always loved Blue Steels on other basses. They last a long time and still sound good when they get old.

12. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    OK guys - an update

just put on a set of DR Marcus Miller Sig Fat Beams - one word - AWESOME!!!
    not too trebly, but great growl and bite, great string-to-string consistency, i'm lovin these strings!!!

thank you Ben Clarke for ur recommendation

13. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    If you're not a fan of the Slinkys (though I love Hybrids on my Sterling), try DR FatBeams. They are the best strings I've ever used (and I've used 'em on a few different basses) in every way. The only reason I've switched to Hybrid Slinkys is because they're easier to find and half the price.

Graeme

14. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    yeah - the fatbeams are really doing it for me at the moment:hyper:

was never really happy with slinkies, TI strings were great but too loose (jazz rounds). the TI flats were also good but missed the bite.

the real test comes today with the band...

15. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
  16. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Thanks for the sound clip - that definitely sound fat! What are you playing the SUB through?

On the contrary, I enjoyed your playing - that's a tasty lick, bro.

17. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    its going through a Sansamp BDDI straight into my Creative Audigy 2 sound card. Blend on the BDDI is at minimum and bass slightly boosted, so its pretty much the SUB by itself ur hearing.

18. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    After reading this thread I went out and got some DR Marcus Miller FatBeams for my SR4... and WOW, me likee!