1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rounds + fretless: seeking "solid" tone

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cassius987, Sep 18, 2010.

1. cassius987

cassius987 Inactive

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I'm posting this because I know a lot of you contend that rounds sound exactly like flats but with more treble, and therefore a round can do everything a flat can (and then some). I'm not one to agree with this, but I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong. My experience with fretless is that flats offer a treble "snap" when picked or popped but more importantly they have a very "solid", "full" sound to each of the notes you play. Whereas with rounds, I so often find (especially on fretless) that a lot of the notes ring out half-heartedly and sound kind of "squishy" like there is compression going in and out.

My band, in which I'm basically Vice Frontman, really prefers me to play fretless because of the feel it brings and I actually sing better with fretless (I guess my ears "turn on" moreso). But we are discussing whether I should try some rounds to really get some grind on a couple numbers rather than the "bright flatwound" tone I've been copping lately. What rounds would give me a solid, full-sounding note yet give me the extra harmonics of the outer wrap?

Contemplating: Circle K Balanced Standard 100s (really like the 106 set on my fretted).

2. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    I recently converted from flats (DR high beam flats, mediums) to rounds (DR Sunbeams, medium-lites). I have never gotten so many compliments on my fretless tone and playing before. They are much more grindy, excellent attack and still mwah the hell out you. I find myself playing more expressively too just because it pulls it out of me. These are what Tony Franklin uses.

3. cassius987

cassius987 Inactive

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I think Circle Ks are similar to Sunbeams in some ways so that's a good sign...

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021