Rounds that are not bright but punchy

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jessicabass, Dec 7, 2014.

1. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    Is there a roundwound string that new out of the package isnt bright and clanky?
    But want them to have punch in your chest type tone.

Linnin likes this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    GHS Pressurewounds are good for that. Nicely mellow right out of the pack with really rich tone. I love the Alloy 52 wrap wire. It's drawn through a set of pinch rollers that modify the shape from round to oval.
    I also like GHS Big Core Bass. They have really good attack for a roundwound, and also have the Alloy 52 wrap.

Pound you in the chest punch like a beater on a bass drum is what flats do best. You're never going to truly get that kind of percussive attack out of a roundwound.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    TI Superalloys
    not overly bright, great punch, and they mellow with age (I've got a 2 year old set on my fretless right now)
    Seriously, these things don't die.

jessicabass likes this.
  4. DR Sunbeams?

5. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I'm a user. While certainly not "clanky", they are brighter than their reputation suggests.

6. I had a chance to try out the Sunbeams and the Nickel Lo-Riders back to back last year.

For punchier and not-so-bright tone, I would take the Lo-Riders over the Sunbeams.

7. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    DR HiBeams

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  8. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    What do they feel like? Are they high in tension/smooth?

9. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    Ghs boomer, pure "boom" but roundwound edge

jasper383 and Mediocrity Man like this.
  10. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the dunlop nickels settle down really really quickly

KickingBass likes this.
  11. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

+1 on the mellow Sunbeams. I don't find them bright at all, especially compared to D'Addario XLs , etc.

blindrabbit likes this.
  12. The TI Superalloys are alloy 52 as well I believe. I liked them when I tried them once and have been considering another alloy 52 round but the TIs are pricey. Has anyone compared them to Boomer 52s? Are they in the ball park? Those Boomer 52s would be a hell of a deal if they sound close.

13. JustForSport

JustForSport Guest

Nov 17, 2011
    GHS Pressure Wounds are pretty smooth- lots smoother than typical rounds, less finger noise, and fairly flexible. GHS has a tension chart avail on their site.

jessicabass and Linnin like this.
  14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Your head, eq, and cab will play a role in that punch as well.

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest Roto 77 flats. Similar tone as the 66 rounds, but w/o fret clank or string noise. They are high tension, and for that reason, people love to hate them, but if you ever play all four strings tuned down a step, they are really great.

15. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Never tried the Boomer 52s. Had a negative experience with regular Boomers in the past and never looked back.
    And yeah, they can be expensive, but for a roundwound that lasts up to 2 years?! When i played steel rounds i changed 'em once a week or 2 days before a gig, whichever came first!
    I think it's worth it. Of course, I also use TI flats, so maybe i'm just biased. ;)

16. I vote elixir nickels. The coating makes them sound nice and broken in right out of the pack. The bonus is they keep that sound for a long time! I've played easily 60, 3 hour gigs on a set.

17. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    DR Sunbeams. The Pressurewounds are good on SOME basses, especially passive. I've had them on an active and they were a tad clanky, bright and harmonically loud. Didn't like em'....

blindrabbit likes this.
  18. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    OK, my bad... I misread this, the DR Hi-Beams I use are Bright but not Punchy (at least to my ears).

19. My vote is for a nickel string as well. I like the Fender 7150M. It is a roundwound that keeps getting better with age.

20. Alyssa

Alyssa Guest

Sep 27, 2014
    Why not try D'Addario halfrounds?